Help on E-Brake cable

88GT460

Sep 23, 2004
Arkansas
My recently bought 96 Mustang GT's emergency brake cable is missing, as in not there. I've looked and looked for a cheap solution (i.e. just the cable) and haven't had good luck. Is this an easy fix or do I need to purchase a new emergency brake assembly, and if so can someone point me in the right direction for that part.

Thanks.

You might be the first!

You're talking about the front cable that attaches to the handle, right? Hmmm... $58 at LRS and RockAuto doesn't have 'em. Have you tried the Ford dealer?

The left & right rear cables look like they're pretty easy to find.

The cheap solution if you can't find one anywhere else for a reasonable price is to grab one out of a junkyard.

The left & right rear cables look like they're pretty easy to find.
Sorry to veer off topic, but.....

When I bought my car, the guy I bought it from said. "Don't use the emergency brake" , I assume because the cables are rusted.. Would a new left and right cable get me back in business with a parking brake? It would be nice to have, but I've never thought to check out what parts I would need to fix it when it is up in the air..

Thanks

The parking/e-brake cable is different than the left/right brake cables that come from the rear of the car. They join near the brake handle, and a seperate cable runs from that to the e-brake handle itself.

'96-'98 (maybe '94-'95 too) had a recall for the e-brake. The cable was too long or something but it would not hold the car on a hill if it were manual and parked in neutral. The "fix" by Ford was sloppy at best. Hope you are successful with fixing it.