E brake mechanism

joekurt

Oct 28, 2021
Pennsylvania
Hello Stangnet friends. Are there any emergency brake wizards out there? My son and I are building a street rod based on a 1976 Mustang II. The location of the e brake mount is on the top of the tunnel (horizontal mount) directly behind the shift knob. Previous experience is that pulling into 4th gear (4 speed manual) comes very close to the e brake handle. We would like to move the lever and handle to the passenger side of the tunnel (vertical mount) but maintain the vertical pull to set/release the brake. Putting the new e brake within 2-3" of the top of the tunnel will easily clear the passenger seat, but we don't want the lever and handle to encroach into the passenger's side more than 1-2". What I've been looking for is a vertical mount lever/handle/ratchet that can mount on the passenger's side but has a shaft extending through the tunnel wall to pick up the e brake cable. Seems like there has to be something like that but I just can't find it. Anyone have any thoughts? We want to stay manual (not hydraulic) and don't want transmission mount. See picture.

IMG_1912.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1912.jpg
    IMG_1912.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Sponsors (?)

Is there a way to offset the handle instead of mounting to the side of the trans tunnel? I believe all Mustangs from around 87 til now are offset to one side or the other. I would think that would simplify installation if that's a possibility. Otherwise, I believe I have a mental picture of what you're asking but I'm not aware of something that's readily available that would work.

Another thing I was thinking of that may or may not be a possibility - could you relocate the handle to the floor between the driver door and seat? That would complicate installation but it would definitely give clearances for both the shifter and the passenger area. I know something was designed that way - maybe a Porsche? :shrug: Just something to think about.....

Hello Stangnet friends. Are there any emergency brake wizards out there? My son and I are building a street rod based on a 1976 Mustang II. The location of the e brake mount is on the top of the tunnel (horizontal mount) directly behind the shift knob. Previous experience is that pulling into 4th gear (4 speed manual) comes very close to the e brake handle. We would like to move the lever and handle to the passenger side of the tunnel (vertical mount) but maintain the vertical pull to set/release the brake. Putting the new e brake within 2-3" of the top of the tunnel will easily clear the passenger seat, but we don't want the lever and handle to encroach into the passenger's side more than 1-2". What I've been looking for is a vertical mount lever/handle/ratchet that can mount on the passenger's side but has a shaft extending through the tunnel wall to pick up the e brake cable. Seems like there has to be something like that but I just can't find it. Anyone have any thoughts? We want to stay manual (not hydraulic) and don't want transmission mount. See picture.

IMG_1912.jpg
Is there a way to offset the handle instead of mounting to the side of the trans tunnel? I believe all Mustangs from around 87 til now are offset to one side or the other. I would think that would simplify installation if that's a possibility. Otherwise, I believe I have a mental picture of what you're asking but I'm not aware of something that's readily available that would work.

Another thing I was thinking of that may or may not be a possibility - could you relocate the handle to the floor between the driver door and seat? That would complicate installation but it would definitely give clearances for both the shifter and the passenger area. I know something was designed that way - maybe a Porsche? :shrug: Just something to think about.....
Thanks LILCBRA. The finished car will be a knock off of a 60's vintage Austin Healey 3000. Relatively small British sports car, so not much room on either side. I hadn't thought of between drivers seat and door. That's an interesting thought. We also might just go to a foot brake in the foot well. Thanks for the quick response!

Reactions: 1 user
It seems it would be easier to cut and weld the arm a couple inches shorter vs any other mods to accomplish the goal. Moving it back would be my next choice. Or a combo of the above.

If I am understanding your prefered location correctly I would think it would be a hazard in a crash. That mechanism would dig into the passengers hip/ side area. There would be no give there and the seat cushion would crumple into that area which will be reinforced with whatever platform you devise. Is there a design reason it cannot be shortened or moved back?

Thanks IIMustang. I had the same concerns, but most of the images online show a floor mount or side tunnel mount on the passenger side - a few on the driver's side. Since it will end up looking like an old British roadster (AH 3000), there's not a lot of room on either side. Shortening might work, or maybe just buy a shorter version from a different make/model of car.

Reactions: 1 users