• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-

Help Please

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tman88elk
  • Start date Start date Feb 26, 2018
T

Tman88elk

New Member
Feb 26, 2018
1
0
1
Feb 26, 2018
#1
  • Feb 26, 2018
  • #1
I own a 1997 SVT Cobra, it has 84,000 miles and I treat this car like a princess. About a week ago I decide to drive it to work instead of my beater and half way there it starts knocking like a son of a bitch. I have no clue why, I do know that its a main bearing that's kamikaze. I would like some advice on how much I could sell the car for in its current state, its all factory interior and body work, it has a bbk cold air intake, kooks long tube headers, slp full cat-back exhaust, and steeda coil overs and anti roll bars. The car is mint, garage kept and fluids changed every 4k miles. It is a five speed car with the original 32v 4.6. I was thinking maybe 5 grand? Let me know what you guys think, if anyone knows why it would spin a main out of nowhere that would be helpful too.
 

wmburns

SN Certified Technician
Aug 14, 2009
5,892
514
204
Houston Texas
Feb 26, 2018
#2
  • Feb 26, 2018
  • #2
Tman88elk said:
The car is mint, garage kept and fluids changed every 4k miles. It is a five speed car with the original 32v 4.6. I was thinking maybe 5 grand? Let me know what you guys think, if anyone knows why it would spin a main out of nowhere that would be helpful too.
Click to expand...
KBB has the private party value between 4,495 - 7,292 for a working copy.

Slightly more than 7 years ago I purchased a 2000 Mustang GT with a blown motor. The car was purchased as a "project". The interior and exterior were in great condition. Price $1,300.

The DOHC motor is very pricey. So some "reasonable" discount from the price would have to be offered to make this a good "project" for someone else.

Try car-part.com to search for possible salvage yard motors. This will give an idea what a replacement motor might cost.
 

Neuron

5 Year Member
Nov 6, 2016
859
192
93
Feb 27, 2018
#3
  • Feb 27, 2018
  • #3
Low oil or hitting the rev limiter a lot. My '98 had a new engine installed at 50K due to the previous owner driving drunk and spinning a rod bearing by hitting the limiter over and over. Had 157K and running strong when I sold it though. It almost always pays to fix it to get maximum return. OP use the 1993-1998 Lincoln Mark VIII FWD engine for a (somewhat) cheaper alternative.
 

rancorkeeper

Founding Member
Mar 19, 2001
484
13
39
Palos Heights, IL (Chicago suburb)
Mar 1, 2018
#4
  • Mar 1, 2018
  • #4
There's a late 90s Cobra for sale locally here in Chicago with a bad motor & I think they're asking $3,800 or so. Interior pics looked nice & it had suspension upgrades, so somewhat comparable to your situation.
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,324
18,049
224
Massachusetts
Mar 1, 2018
#5
  • Mar 1, 2018
  • #5
I'd say $3000-3500 as it sits.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
Car shakes when taking off help???
  • STANKYstangs
  • May 10, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
12
Views
434
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- May 27, 2026
LILCBRA
C
Help with manual conversion
  • CPH89LX
  • Aug 23, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
20
Views
456
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 27, 2026
2000xp8
M
Need help!
  • Masonevans726
  • Dec 17, 2025
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
278
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Dec 17, 2025
Masonevans726
M
F
Ford 460 swap
  • Ford460
  • Sep 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
202
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 14, 2026
Ford460
F
G
Resolved Smoking Wiring Issue After GT40 Head Swap
  • Grapes
  • Aug 15, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
17
Views
451
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Aug 22, 2026
Grapes
G
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?