Help Please

Perplexed55

Aug 22, 2020
Michigan
I have a 2009 4.6 GT. I changed the rocker arms and lash adjusters with Ford Performance parts and now I have no oil pressure. Pressure was fine before I changed. Marked all of the cam keepers to make sure they all went back as they came out. Thinking it may be the oil pressure sending unit I changed that but to no avail. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Hi,
The lash adjusters are at the very end of the engines oil supply chain, which means it will take a bit for the tiny offices inside the adjuster to fill and pressure to build.
They have a small spring loaded checkball in them that maintains oil inside the adjuster
and relieves any air that gets within.
You changed both the lash adjusters and the rockers, why did you replace them? Was there an issue you were attempting to repair?
I always let lash adjusters, standard hydraulic Lifters sit in the same oil type as in the motor, push down on the plunger and slowly ease back as they suck the oil inside.
I’d first check the oil level. (Stranger things have occurred).
If you decide to turn it over, I wouldn’t- yet, if you do, disable the inertia switch so it cannot start.. Read below..
You can do a full engine prime without turning over the motor one degree. You inject it in under pressure to reach all the points the oil normally travels, bypassing the pump.
What exactly occurred when you started it? Lots of Valvetrain noise causing you to view the gauge?
Where was the gauge, did it rise at all..or stay flat?
What & how depends on what the gauge did, safest bet is to hook up a temporary mechanical gauge to rule out any issue in measurement, that’ll also tell what pressure precisely the engine has within it, if there’s enough pressure for the safety of your bearings.
Best!
John

I soaked the adjusters in oil before installing. The reason I changed them was because of a stuck roller on a couple of the rocker arms causing a tic. There was not a lot of valvetrain noise when started however the low oil pressure message came on after about 5 seconds and the oil pressure gauge went up very little before going to 0.

I soaked the adjusters in oil before installing. The reason I changed them was because of a stuck roller on a couple of the rocker arms causing a tic. There was not a lot of valvetrain noise when started however the low oil pressure message came on after about 5 seconds and the oil pressure gauge went up very little before going to 0.
Hi,
1) No Valvetrain noise when oil pressure gauge hit low, low levels?
2) How long did the motor run for?
3)Was it revved above idle?
4)Oil pressure came up a bit, then dropped....?
5)What Oil & Filter are you running, have they been changed? I’d suggest changing it.
Cut the oil filter open when you do. Check for any metal shavings.
6)Did you scan the EEC with a Scan-tool? May pick something useful.
A mechanical oil pressure gauge plugged into the NPT near the oil filter housing will tell exactly what oil pressure is present when turned over, engine disabled from starting. Mech gauge for 20$, or a test gauge borrowed.
Need to have strong oil pressure for these motors, 70lbs @ 2K as their complexity is far beyond a simple pushrod 5.0.
Timing chain tensioners will cease function and the chain(S) will make a hell of a racket, possibly jump time.
TIVCT May randomly advance/retard timing, and timing will revert to, lash adjusters will will go flat.
Are all the tools, fasteners, rags stuffed in areas to catch falling bolts, etc all
accounted for after job completion?
How long did the motor run, and did it appear that it was running normally for the time it did? What rpm did it run at?
Best!
John

Last edited: