help plz!

nick08mustangGT

Nov 27, 2010
hi i have a 2008 gt, with just about 11,000 miles. i put a Hurst competition short throw on it about 6 months ago. everything was fine until 2nd and 3rd gear started to grind every once in a while when i was racing. i asked a buddy of mine that has a hurst shifter what was wrong and he said it was probably bc of the stock trans fluid, and to change to royal purple. so i went to an advanced auto and bought trans fluid and a lucas additive. when i was buying it tho the guy told me i needed atf royal purple and i questioned him about it bc the car is not automatic and he said thats what my tranny takes and i even had him call ford to make sure. so i go home and change the fluid. when i was done i drove it around nice and slow and everything seemed great it went into gear like butter. but wen the car warmed up all the way i ripped on it alittle and when i shifted it grinded every gear i put it in =[
i freaked out and went online and foundout that i dont use royal purple atf for some reason and i ordered 9 bottles of the manual one. i then went back to the store and told them what happened and they paid for the new fluid.
my friend told me that i had to drain the fluid, fill it with the right stuff, then drive it around for about a week and then drain it and fill it up one more time to flush it out. so i did that and all was well.
but now right wen i turn my car one and go to work it will grind the first time i put it into 3rd but if i go to 4th then down to 3rd its fine , and its fine every other time after.
i dont know what it could be besides maybe there is alittle bit of the atf still in there and since its so thin it sits on the top and when i first start the car thats the first thing that gets into the gears before the rest mixes in.
please if anyone know if thats it or you know of the real reason please let me kknow it drives me crazy =[

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

okay now im driving getting onto the highway and i rip on it from 1st to 2nd and 2nd grindes and doesnt go in..thinking i just screwed up i tried it again getting off the exit and the same thing happened so i then pulled down another street and it did it again! is this problem because of the short shifter or is the transmission just a peace of ****? :mad:

I had that problem with my 02. Took it to the dealer and it was the syncro's. Mine had about 65k on it though. I had a steeda tri-ax and they tried to blame it on that to make me pay for the $2500 repair. Kept telling them to **** themselves cause there is a TSB for that and finally got them to do it. ****en dealers will rob you blind if you let them bend you over. Take it to them, an 08 withh 11k shouldn't be doing that. My 08 has 73k and shifts smooth as silk. Just don't let them screw you.

First, make sure you didn't install the shifter incorrectly. Some of the directions out there have you installing it backwards. Does your shifter handle face forward or backwards? If it faces backwards, good. If not, you've got it installed incorrectly and need to flip the middle part around (not just that handle, but the shaft that it attaches to, which attaches to the shift "linkage").

If you have it installed correctly, it could be a couple of things. The Hurst shifter is rather rough, and I've heard other shifters can be much smoother on our transmission, such as the MGW. That said, these transmissions have had a problem with 2nd and 3rd gear syncros for years. It's not a new problem, but Ford never fixed it. Replacing the syncros should fix it if all else fails. While I'd like to say the dealer won't deny you because of the shifter, it totally depends on the dealer.

Finally, I installed this product here to help in my '07. It helped a lot (at first), and also made you feel more connected to the car. After a while, though, the scratching came back and the syncros needed replacing.
View the V8 K-Member Brace with Engine Torque Limiters<br>Part # CHE7LA at http://www.cheperformance.com