Help Quick! 91 Mustang Airbag Light Staying On After Replacing Led Bulbs

changed my cluster panel bulbs to LED. followed directions online and left the battery bulb OEM. onot problem is airbag light is staying on. Any ideas? my battery did die yesterday and I had to recharge - could that be why?

• Sponsors (?)

I left all the dummy lamps stock and just changed the illumination bulbs behind the gauges.
so did I. don't know what the deal is. When you turn the key over, which all lights illuninate? right now, mint shows check engine for a few seconds then turns off. Also I believe low cool and for a split second then off. I thought when you turn key to accessory, all bulbs light up then off to show they are working. I have a single LED in both turn signals and 5 - LED for illumination. everything else is OEM bulbs (checked they were all working). Don't know what the deal is but I took airbag bulb out. I have to say the dash looks great. initially I had LED bulbs in every section other than battery then realized that was silly and put most back to OEM like I said. This was really a pain in the ass though. I had the dash apart twice. I spent about 8 hours all together. stupid speedo cable didn't help. A lot of time was spent troubleshooting why some LED bulbs wouldn't work at first even when I switched polarity. I think there were some bad contacts. I finally got it all working. wondering why though the low oil, low coolant, etc doesn't light up initially when I turn key to accessory. wondering if the LED bulbs are messing something up drawing too much current??

tmp_20140215_235039-139697123.jpg

Better hope the air bag control box doesn't start beeping.
I'd put the bulb back in.

If i remember correctly you were looking for unmolested well kept cars.
Doing things like removing a bulb is something homer simpson would do to the car (via electrical tape over the check engine light). Not a good way to start.
Fix it right or it will forever be on your mind.
Why buy a great car and start rigging stuff from the get go?

The air bag system probably didn't like the low load draw of the led. I know as an electrician that some switches and timers won't recognize leds because the power draw is too low.
I see no reason it couldn't happen in a car.

Last edited:
You are right. whatever was going on worked itself out because initially I wasn't getting any warning lights at startup and now I am. I'm guessing if I pop the airbag bulb in, it works fine now. That will be for another day when I feel like ripping all that back out.
Better hope the air bag control box doesn't start beeping.
I'd put the bulb back in.

If i remember correctly you were looking for unmolested well kept cars.
Doing things like removing a bulb is something homer simpson would do to the car (via electrical tape over the check engine light). Not a good way to start.
Fix it right or it will forever be on your mind.
Why buy a great car and start rigging stuff from the get go?

The air bag system probably didn't like the low load draw of the led. I know as an electrician that some switches and timers won't recognize leds because the power draw is too low.
I see no reason it couldn't happen in a car.