Help Selecting a Power Booster & Master Cylinder for My '65

Ferf

Dec 6, 2002
I need to select a power booster and dual-reservoir master cylinder for my '65 Mustang. There seems to be two products that come highly recommended. The first is the Mustang Steve setup. The second is offered by Master Power Brakes.

From what I can gather, the Mustang Steve setup requires that the brake pedal be modified. On the other hand, it seems that the Master Power Brake setup does not require any modification to the brake pedal.

My car has Wilwood disc brakes all the way around. For you guys running disc brakes on all four corners, what is your recommendation on a power booster and dual-reservoir master cylinder?

Mustang Steve - BRAKES

Master Power Brakes - Master Power Brakes - FORD 7" POWER BOOSTER / MASTER CYLINDER (MANUAL TRANSMISSION)

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

i used the SSBC kit, and was disapointed at their "kit". it didnt factor in the pedal leverage, and i had WAY too much leverage, making it too esay to stop the car. i prefer some resistance, and it felt like i could press the pedal down with my pinky.

i fixed the issue by having mustang steve make me a new pedal with a droped pin for LESS leverage, and i made a custom bracket with a dog leg for the push rod. [the pin and the booster were at different heights.]

if you dont mind the look of a fox-body booster under your hood, id go with steve's fox booster kit.

but if you go with the master power kit, you can get it to work by using a pedal with different pin height.

the good thing about my SSBC kit was that it had a chrome booster and chrome cap. i painted the M/S silver, and it all looks nice. i think mustang steve only comes in black

i used the SSBC kit, and was disapointed at their "kit". it didnt factor in the pedal leverage, and i had WAY too much leverage, making it too esay to stop the car. i prefer some resistance, and it felt like i could press the pedal down with my pinky.

but if you go with the master power kit, you can get it to work by using a pedal with different pin height.

The Master Power OEM-style booster has a leverage-reduction linkage (just like the originals) to avoid excess sensitivity.

No pedal modification is required or needed with the Master Power OE style booster.

P1012750_large.JPG

Does the master power setup come with a aluminum or chome master cylinder?

Chepsk8, what do you mean by sizing the master cylinder correctly? Master Power Brakes only offers a 1" bore size.

Chris

My intent is that the new master cylinder will match what you have at the wheels. Your front brakes are converted to calipers, and are stock units that are used with the Master Cylinder? If you go oversize on the front brakes, there could be problems with pedal effort and braking performance. This is where you would need to match M/S bore diameter & piston travel in relation to total caliper piston area and travel. Staying with a pre-packaged system saves that hassle.

I need to select a power booster and dual-reservoir master cylinder for my '65 Mustang. There seems to be two products that come highly recommended. The first is the Mustang Steve setup. The second is offered by Master Power Brakes.

From what I can gather, the Mustang Steve setup requires that the brake pedal be modified. On the other hand, it seems that the Master Power Brake setup does not require any modification to the brake pedal.

My car has Wilwood disc brakes all the way around. For you guys running disc brakes on all four corners, what is your recommendation on a power booster and dual-reservoir master cylinder?

Mustang Steve - BRAKES

Master Power Brakes - Master Power Brakes - FORD 7" POWER BOOSTER / MASTER CYLINDER (MANUAL TRANSMISSION)

Thanks!

No Pedal change need at all!.

Do you have a Automatic, or Standard.

If Automatic, then the SSBC is a direct push, no extra clumbersome moving parts to cause problems, Dual Bowl ( very Important), Front Disc rear drum booster that fits neatly in the cavity between the shock tower and firewall.

SSBC has, we sell, these just for the 65 66 Mustang application, but Automatic only.

Dan @ Chockostang

Mustang Steve - BRAKES

Thanks!

When I was running a C4 in my early 65 with front discs and drums, I used this compact unit. I have since converted to a T5 and it can no longer be used due to the clutch rod interferring with the booster tank.