Help with 67 console trim finish

mlpdeals

Dec 4, 2006
I need help from someone with a known OEM unmodified 67 console. Would love a macro picture of the finish. I have been piecing together parts for a driver console and just got some of the trim. The finish on my seaminingly OEM parts appear to be a machined finish not a brushed finish and wondering what is correct. To clarify a brushed finish is fine scratches all in a single direction whereas the machined finish is a series of endless swirls of about 1/4" dia. that are barly noticable. Also my parts appear to have a light gold coating...all of which could have been from their many previous owners. I see that there are brushed alum inserts that can be purchased to overlay on pitted consoles but doubt I will go that route. Which actually brings up an even bigger question: How many console trim variations are there for 67? I thought only one and in 68 there were padded/not padded. any help is greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 67 and it is supposed to be brushed aluminum. Do not buy the overlays as they are crap. Just recently new pieces have come out that is the entire metal piece with the proper finish. I believe these come from JMC but you can buy them through Virginia Classic Mustang for one. Thay also have the dash pieces, heater panel, and door panel pieces. I saw these in person a while back and was blown away by the quality.
The only two interior options for 67 were a black camera case finish and the deluxe brushed aluminum.

The metal portions of the consoles had three finishes on them. One was a crinkle pattern with semi-gloss black paint covering it. One was a bright chrome, the thin strip sandwiching the black sections. The third and most prevalent portion was brushed, but the metal on the consoles is not of the same material as either the dash or the doors.

Dave is right about the repops too, you will find laminates that are cheap and look accordingly, you can also buy new parts that may cost near $500 for a full set. I know that Burton Indutries is making real metal ones complete with backing plates and "tabs" for the dashes and the doors. I know that because I got a set for free by loaning him my 67 deluxe interior AC registers (all three peices) as patterns so he could make them fit exactly. Nobody is repro'ing the consoles that I know of...yet.

Edbert, Vir. Mustang is selling the new console piece for 67 manual or auto brushed aluminum for $185. It doesn't say if it includes the overhead or not though. I would hope so for that price.

Cool to know thanks! I would hope so too but with the prices for quality metal and machine work...I doubt it inlcudes the overhead console.

In this case (as many others) I'm glad I have a vert :D

I am really just interested in the finish of the "brushed" finish of the trim. The trim is chromed potmetal but the grain texture(that is painted black) is cast in and the brushed finish is most likely applied before the chroming process. Just trying to find out if it is really a brushed or machined finsih.

Also I now see that Classicautosuppy.net sells a console that has ALL new Reproduction parts, base, all trim, wiring,etc for $900.

I believe I have solved my question about the brushed/machined finish on MY console parts. Upon close examination it appears that a previous owner used an orbital sander to redo the brushed finish. Thus the machined/swirl pattern and then painted with a light gold color. I speculate this because I can see a brushed finish in the corners where an orbital sander could not reach.

Another twist to cosole finishes. I see that the reproduction shifter plates, with the brushed finish all say for a deluxe interior. New question is: Was the console avail for a standard interior? Is it correct that Standard interior's have the camera case black on the dash bezels but deluxe have a brushed finish?

Another twist to cosole finishes. I see that the reproduction shifter plates, with the brushed finish all say for a deluxe interior. New question is: Was the console avail for a standard interior? Is it correct that Standard interior's have the camera case black on the dash bezels but deluxe have a brushed finish?

Yes, consoles could be found in standard and deluxe interiors.

Yes, it is my understanding that the 67 deluxe interior* contained the brush finish on the dash as well as the door panels.

* there may be some differences between factory options and dealer add-ons; and Ford has been known to do some odd things with their extra parts.

Yes, to both of you. I have seen original 67s standard interiors with both consoles before. But there were no "camera case" consoles they were all silver.

Regarding the method of the brushing...I have no idea how it was acheived personally, but since they were not done by hand I'd have to guess it was "machined" in some way. There are slight variations in the texture detail from dash to doors to console, I always attributed that to the fact that three different types of metals were used on dash/door/console rather than the method of "brushing".