Help with Autolite 2100 carb!

Skymarshal

Nov 5, 2004
Dallas
I bought a remanufactured carb for my '69, and I've lost the documentation that came with it. I'm trying to identify the carb so I can get it set up properly.

There's no ID tag on it, and it's stamped with "3L" and "1.14" on the side. It was rebuilt by Holley, and the Holley part number is 64-5103. That number corresponds to the carb spec'd for 67-69 289s and 302s. I've got a 351W in the car.

Do you think this is the correct carb for this engine?

The car has a full dual exhaust, but is otherwise stock. Is this 300CFM carb badly hurting what the engine is capable of?

How can I find the proper settings to set it up?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

• Sponsors (?)

300cfm is definitely not letting the 351w breathe to it's fullest. As far as setting up the carb, on the driver's side of the carburetor, where the throttle linkage hooks up there is a screw which will control your idle speed. If you have an auto, idle speed should be around 600-700 rpms. On the passenger side of the carb, there is a cam and screw which controls your fast idle. Adjust the screw when the car is cold so fast idle is around 1100-1200 rpm. Finally, you need to adjust the air/fuel mix. On the front of the carb, there are two round posts with flathead screwdriver slots on them. These come out of the carb angled about 45* towards the side of the car. Screw these all the way in, then back them out about 2.5 turns and use that as a starting point. Adjust both of them the same amount and direction until you get a nice clean idle.

Hope this helps,
--Jason

Thanks for the info! I've been tinkering with all those already- I want to start with the factory specs for the choke pulldown clearence, fast idle cam clearence, and fuel level. I don't like tuning by idle quality, because just a little lean or rich can cause problems!

I'll probably upgrade to Holley's 2300 2-bbl carb eventually. This engine's volumetric efficiency is around 575 CFM, so 500 should be sufficient for a street cruiser, and will make more power than the 300 CFM Autolite carb.

Skymarshal said:
I'll probably upgrade to Holley's 2300 2-bbl carb eventually. This engine's volumetric efficiency is around 575 CFM, so 500 should be sufficient for a street cruiser
Where'd you get that info? The carb companies formula? That formula only tells you the MINIMUM size carb your motor needs. That 351 will be happier with something in the 650 cfm range.