Help With Clicking Noise?

• Sponsors (?)

I really can't tell anything from the vid. Is the noise random or is it rythimic?

If you are getting a random noise during acceleration...like marbles in a can type noise...then you are getting detonation. Try increasing the octane fuel you use. If it is a consistant rythym it could be a number of things.

Yeah it is more of a knock than a click but saying knock scares me more haha. Its a rhythmic noise, and it sounds similar to a rod bearing but its not as loud and it only happens above 2000 rpm under partial throttle. Someone please tell me there could be an easier fix.

If what I think I heard is what you're talking about, I'd call that more of a "knock" than a "click."

My first guess would be a rod bearing.

It certainly doesn't sound promising.

Yep, sounds like a spun rod bearing. Bad news for sure, but there are a few other possibilites.

When the engine is STONE cold, remove your coil packs and check to see if any of your spark plugs have come loose. They will tick or rattle before they shoot out of the head most of the time.

Could be something related to the timing gear, but that is not as likely. If you REALLY want to check that out, remove the accessories and pull the timing cover... but like I said, I don't think that is where the problem is.

If the spark plugs check back tight, and not loose... check your oil and look for metal shavings in the oil that is on the dipstick. If there are shavings, plan on a rebuild or new engine.

Alright thanks guys. Well anyone got the hookups for new engines? haha

Fortunately, Ford used the 4.6 in everything so wrecking yard examples of PI 4.6s are a dime a dozen. Depending on what you find, you might have to swap some parts such as the intake manifold, front cover and crank damper from your existing engine.

This assumes the problem is terminal. You might consider dropping the pan and inspecting the rods for excessive clearance to verify the suspected failure before dropping coin on a replacement motor.

Yeah I'm definitely gonna make sure thats the problem. Its just still hard to be sure because when I've heard a spun rod bearing before the noise was constant. This only makes it above 2k rpm in certain conditions and it drives fine so I still have a little hope.

Thanks for your reply.

I don't think I have this issue, but I figure i learn about it and educate myself. Honestly, I probably won't even know if I have this problem or not and I can't hear any difference from the video.

How would I know and how can I tell?

Yeah I gotta make a better video so maybe someone can identify my problem for sure. But you really don't have to worry about this its pretty rare and unlikely to happen to your car unless you constantly beat the hell out of it. You'll hear a loud knocking sound coming from the engine bay and it'll be pretty obvious there's a major problem. I'm just not sure if that's what happened to me because the sound isn't consistent with a spun rod bearing in my experience, but this is my first mustang.

I've read that the modular is somewhat susceptible to this problem if the engine is run at fairly high RPM for a sustained period of time AND the oil level has been allowed to get low. What happens, so the story goes, is that the oil pan ends up being emptied (or nearly so) by the timing chains acting like an oil escalator filling the heads up (which don't drain fast enough) and leaving the pickup in the sump susceptible to sucking air. Oil pressure is momentarily reduced and metal to metal contact can occur at the journals.

Bottom line for mods is to keep the oil level at the full-line on the stick at all times.

I've read that the modular is somewhat susceptible to this problem if the engine is run at fairly high RPM for a sustained period of time AND the oil level has been allowed to get low. What happens, so the story goes, is that the oil pan ends up being emptied (or nearly so) by the timing chains acting like an oil escalator filling the heads up (which don't drain fast enough) and leaving the pickup in the sump susceptible to sucking air. Oil pressure is momentarily reduced and metal to metal contact can occur at the journals.

Bottom line for mods is to keep the oil level at the full-line on the stick at all times.

Yep, I ALWAYS have that in the back of my mind when I am going WOT for a sustained period of time. I usually run 1/4-1/2 quart over the reccomendation also.

From hearing that engine noise - with headphones on - I wouldn't drive the car at all. It is straining and you can hear the friction. Definitely not the sound of an exhaust leak, noisy lifters, or fouled injectors. You can pull a junkyard 4.6 PI motor for probably 500 dollars?