Help with Exhaust Leak.

Strawberry92LX5.0

Founding Member
Sep 15, 1999
St.Louis MO
Hey all, it's been a while since I've posted, but I need help. I have an exhaust leak that sounds like it's coming from right behind the head on the passenger side. I think it's coming from the smog tubing that's there. One, is this possible? Two, if it's responsible for the noise, I think it's coming from a fitting that's screwed into the head or the tube that forms a "t" with another smog tube, how do I replace it?

Like I said, it's really been a while and I'm trying to get my car going again. I hope my old signature posts. If not, I have a DSS 306 with AFR 185 heads and a Kenne Bell Blowzilla supercharger with 8lbs of boost. I think that's all that would be pertinent to the question. If not, let me know. The noise is driving me insane.

Scott

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks

I know that it's possible to replace the smog tubing, what I really need is information on what's involved. For example, I know that there is an "L" (For lack of a better description) fitting on the back of the head that connects to a tube that runs straight up about 4 inches where it "T's" into another smog tube running from side to side. This is where I think the leak is coming from. Does the tube simply pull out of the fitting? Are they connected? If so, How do you get them in without having to take the head off?

there should be a big nut at the T connecting them if i remember right..i cut and crimped my steel tubes to get rid of the junk, start up the car, let it idle and run outside feeling around the fairly cold engine carefully with your hand to find the exhaust leak, maybe you can just use some sealer or sand the flat tube surface to make it flat again...good luck and check the tightness of you heade to exhaust system nuts

~Mark~