Help with fitting my shift knob on my 07 Mustang GT

Srt2Stang725

Aug 10, 2007
Heres my situation.I have a 2007 Mustang GT. Its a 5-speed manual with a 12mm x1.25 thread pattern on the shifter. I purchased a Hurst Classic style shift knob stupidly in a 12mm x 1.75 thinking at the time thats what the correct size was(also after contacting Hurst i found out they do not make a shift knob to fit the newer Mustangs yet). So not being the correct size i went out to Car Quest and i bought 12mm x 1.25 helicoils, i didnt opt for the whole kit being that it was just about $100.00 and i didnt want to spend more than 3 times the shift knobs cost on trying to make it fit to me thats just silly lol. So anyway to make a long story short the Helicoils that i bought do not tell me the drill size or tap size....so i was wondering if anybody knows what the correct size would be. Thanks in advance!!!

• Sponsors (?)

I seem to be having a bit of trouble finding the 12x1.25 size. here are a few links that I looked on

http://www.newmantools.com/tapdrill.htm

http://www.engineersedge.com/manufacturing/metric-iso-tap-drill-chart.htm

If for nothing else they make a great future refence. I will keep digging though. The first site did have this qoute though;

"For Metric sizes only. Diameter of thread minus the pitch equals the tap drill size.
eg. M6 x 1 6 - 1 = 5mm and you thought metric was difficult."

Buy this I would say you need a drill that is 10.75mm best of luck.

Just crank it on there. Might take a lot of work, but it'll fit.

Just kidding, please don't do that. Your best option, to get the best looking setup would be to sell that ball and replace it with one made for the stock stick (MRT makes quite a few classic balls, and Roush has a couple), or upgrade your shifter. Most shifters out there give you the option to keep the stock threads, or go more universal.

I have the white Roush ball, and fabricated my own stainless piece to go with it, though there was nothing wrong with the black one and nut that came with it. Here's a few pictures of mine in my car.

viewsingle.php?id=2551&sku=69024

1307515720_67f247191e.jpg

Attachments

• viewsingle.php?id=2551&sku=69024
    viewsingle.php?id=2551&sku=69024
    24.3 KB · Views: 184
  • 1307515720_67f247191e.jpg
    1307515720_67f247191e.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 90
thank you for all the responses guys, but however being that ive been searching since 10 this morning and it is now 730 i have given up and purchased an Mrt Shift knob hopfully it fits lol anyone want a Hurst Ball?