Help with matching Aussie heads with EFI intake

Hotrodbuilder

Sep 20, 2015
I have a 1993 5.0 Windsor motor with Australian heads. Heads have 2-1/4" x 1-3/4" intake ports. I am running trick Flow 75MM throttle body and 30lb injectors with Vortech V3 supercharger. Issue is finding an intake manifold to fit the heads. All of the manifolds I can find only fit stock intake port cylinder heads. My gaskets exceed the outside dimensions of a stock type intake manifold. Does anyone know of a source for the EFI intake manifold upper and lower set? I have been working on this project off and on for over 6 years.

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 1993 5.0 Windsor motor with Australian heads. Heads have 2-1/4" x 1-3/4" intake ports. I am running trick Flow 75MM throttle body and 30lb injectors with Vortech V3 supercharger. Issue is finding an intake manifold to fit the heads. All of the manifolds I can find only fit stock intake port cylinder heads. My gaskets exceed the outside dimensions of a stock type intake manifold. Does anyone know of a source for the EFI intake manifold upper and lower set? I have been working on this project off and on for over 6 years.
You have 2v closed chamber cleveland heads then?

I do not have Cleveland style heads. They are Windsor style aluminum heads. They have very large ports on the intake side. 2-1/4" by 1-1/4" port openings. My gaskets fit the heads fine, but the intake manifolds all do not fill the opening in the gaskets at the top edge of the ports.
What intake gasket are you running? 1262, 1262R? And are the port openings 2.25" x 1.75" like you said in your first post, or 2.25 x 1.25? Not knowing anything else about your combo or goals, a couple off the shelf EFI intakes that come close to your port size would be a Trick Flow Box EFI or Edelbrock Super Victor EFI. These have the 1262 opening and can be opened up to the 1262r size fairly easily.

Honestly, a 1262R sized intake port is huge for anything but a max effort build. There is no efi intake that I know of that has that port size off the shelf, they almost always need to be ported to match the heads. What are your goals with this engine? Seeing you have 30lb injectors I wouldn't expect you to say you're planning on making a ton of power. You might be just fine with running a smaller intake on those heads to meet your goals.

What then, other than the port size leads you to think they are Australian?
I do not have Cleveland style heads. They are Windsor style aluminum heads. They have very large ports on the intake side. 2-1/4" by 1-1/4" port openings. My gaskets fit the heads fine, but the intake manifolds all do not fill the opening in the gaskets at the top edge of the ports.

Pics of heads overall, end view, intake ports. Also any manufacture and part # info.

How about a pic of heads and your current intake sitting on a block.

Only Aussie heads I have heard of were 351C based. To fit them on a 302 with a 302 intake needed adapters to fill the gap between head and intake (or have a vintage Boss 302 intake). If this is the style of heads, adapter plates will solve your problem because you will have gap to fill. If the heads are 351W based with 351C ports you might have a problem. My question would be what intake normally fits to these heads? Heads don't get randomly made without an intake in mind.

Pics of heads overall, end view, intake ports. Also any manufacture and part # info.

How about a pic of heads and your current intake sitting on a block.

Only Aussie heads I have heard of were 351C based. To fit them on a 302 with a 302 intake needed adapters to fill the gap between head and intake (or have a vintage Boss 302 intake). If this is the style of heads, adapter plates will solve your problem because you will have gap to fill. If the heads are 351W based with 351C ports you might have a problem. My question would be what intake normally fits to these heads? Heads don't get randomly made without an intake in mind.
I agree. To my knowledge, there are no “Aussie” Windsor heads. By the OP’s description they sound like aftermarket aluminum 205-225 “anybody” heads. They may be made in AU, but that doesn’t make them any different w/regard to fitment of a intake gasket. I’d like to see a pic too.

I agree. To my knowledge, there are no “Aussie” Windsor heads. By the OP’s description they sound like aftermarket aluminum 205-225 “anybody” heads. They may be made in AU, but that doesn’t make them any different w/regard to fitment of a intake gasket. I’d like to see a pic too.

Heads are from SCE in Fresno, CA. They buy bare heads from Australia and assemble them here with 2.02 intakes, 1.60 exhausts and racing valve springs.( SCE Shaw City Engines). They have tall ports on intake side that overlap conventional intakes and gaskets. I do use 1262R gaskets which fit the ports, but don't seal at top of intake manifolds. I am now using Holley Systemax intake which works fine. My problem is in finding a carbureted intake manifold that is also tall ported like the GT40 or Cobra. I want to use a blow through carb and Vortech supercharger on another build. All of the aftermarket 4Barrel manifolds have the standard size ports.