Help with my recently bought 1994 mustang GT

bigap15

Apr 9, 2005
Hey, im 16 and I recently bought a 1994 mustang GT 5 speed with the 5.0 engine. It has quite a few miles with 143,000 but it still runs real strong. It has a cold air induction kit on it along with a aftermarket exhaust system. I dont know what exhaust system it has but it really rumbles. I have a couple of questions about this car.

My first question is, After me buying my 1994 mustang GT, my sister traded her 2003 v6 mustang in for a 2002 mustang GT 5 speed. I know stock against stock, theres no change for me, but how much would it take for me to blow the doors off her 4.6L. Im not to much for racing at this age with my first car but since she did this I might just line em up. What are some good bolt ons that will put me to the finish line first.

Another thing is my 5 speed transmission has a problem. The syncro is going out of 2nd gear. When i shift into 2nd, if i shift too quick it grinds a little bit. I found out that if i double clutch into 2nd, it wont grind it shifts perfect. It only grinds when i shift from 1st to 2nd, from 3rd to 2nd it dont grind. I was wondering how much it would cost for a pro to put a new syncro into second gear and if there is any temporary fixes for this problem. I was wondering if a aftermarket shifter might fix this since the throws are shorter. If not i will just have to double clutch to second.

Thanks for your time.

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your purchase :nice:. If you want to beat her it's going to cost $$$ what's your budget? If your going to pay to have your tranny opened up rebuild it. Why pay to have them drop the tranny for one little syncro rebuild it while your there. No a short shifter will not cure the problem or lessin it.

You could always get a 100 shot of nitrous to teach her a lesson for around 500. Or, you couuld buy 3.73 gears, Underdrive pulleys, some sticky tires, and maybe a new intake manifold you should be able to keep up if not beat her stock car.

I agree with wystang rebuild it completely plus do a new clutch at the same time. depending on your budget I would say look into a holley or trickflow H/C/I kit and gears. Welcome to the forums and congrats on the aquisition!

I agree w/everyone and rebuild entire tranny, also may want to double check to see if it has an adjustable clutch cable, sometimes if its not adjusted correctly can cause shifting problems(probably not issue, but doesn't hurt to check). To take out a new gt, they usually dyno around 230ish to the ground, I had a friend w/a 2000gt, and I didn't pull him until after I got my gt-40 intake, underdrive pulley's, full exhaust(headers, offroad, flowmaster). Dyno'd 245rwhp, 292rwtq at that stage.

To "blow the doors off her 4.6" will take a good bit of $$$. If you just want to run with her and maybe beat her by just a little, get some 3.73 gears and pullies. Check your exhaust system, if you still have cats, get an O/R H or X-pipe. Also get some headers if you still have the stock ones.

That should get you close. If you still cant beat her, you can try changing the intake to an Edelbrock Performer, or maybe the BBK intake.