Help with nasty engine problem!

dbkin

Jun 20, 2005
Having a problem getting my 2.3 to run in my 87 mustang. The engine was rebuilt by a friend, a new head from Ford was put on when the engine was rebuilt. The engine is installed in the car, as far as I can tell all of the wiring is installed correctly. For some reason, I cannot get this damn thing to run. It has spark, compression, fuel pressure is good, I checked the injectors, timing is good, it has a new coil. Is there something critical in the wiring that would mess up the computer to the point it would not run? I am going to disconnect the fuel pump relay and see if it will run on just starting fluid. Right now, it won't run too well on starting fluid because it is getting so much fuel when we try to start it. Maybe the fuel regulator is bad? Anyone with ideas please share?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The engine does occasionally fire, not very much though... I will give that a try and see what happens. I know when I take the spark plugs out after trying to start it they are soaked...

Timing is most definately off. It's not 180 out though if it occassionally fires. I'd say it's probably cam timing. It could be ignition timing as well though.

There is a write-up on how to set the timing on my site...the server is down at the moment though...