Help With Rack And Pinion, Input Shaft Without Notch??

mdula

Jan 13, 2011
Hello all. My 86 GT rack and pinion was shot. I found a deal locally for what I was told was for a 79-93 fox body, power rack. It really good condition. After wrangling off the old one I went to swap the steering shaft on the new rack. The new rack is splined like my stock one, but is missing the notched flat side on the input shaft so my rag join will not mate to it.

Wondering what rack I really have and what to do. Hopefully the pictures help explain.

Old rack's input shaft:
IMG_4710_zpshb59midk.jpg
IMG_4714_zpst5olz1bp.jpg

New to me rack:
IMG_4712_zpsmcxfeaxc.jpg

Both:
IMG_4706_zpsalgugmnc.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Very common situation for earlier Foxes. Been there and done that. Iirc, I ended up getting both kinds of rag joint adapters for the rack side, the D shape and the round spined one. Can you get the adapter from the car the rack came from?

Very common situation for earlier Foxes. Been there and done that. Iirc, I ended up getting both kinds of rag joint adapters for the rack side, the D shape and the round spined one. Can you get the adapter from the car the rack came from?
Good question. I texted the seller and he was going to look for a shaft I could use that he had with it. No promises though. I have so many questions now lol so is this a Mustang II rack? Is it any less desirable performance wise? Lock to lock both are the same, 2.5 lock to lock.Would it be insane if I ground off a flat spo t to match the "D" shape on the input shaft?

Screw it. I ground a perfect notch in the input shaft that matches the stock on and the steering / rag joint adapter popped right on, nice and snug. Im just rolling with it.

Reactions: 1 user