Help with Rag Joint

Bottomlesspit

I started the longest tech thread in the known uni
Founding Member
Jan 1, 1999
Del Rio, TX
Guys,
I have taken apart and replaced steering shaft components on my old 93, but i can't for the life of me figure out how to take apart my son's 92GT. The rag joint looks different from what I remember mine looking like. I went with the Flaming River shaft on my 93, but not sure what to use on his...replace the rag joint disk (preferred) his disk is completely gone, or go with a expensive shaft.
I see 2 bolts with nuts that go through the disk, and also seems to have 2 studs. I don't see how to get the studs apart. It "looks" like the studs would require cutting off. Is this true? The studs seem to hold down triangle shaped pieces that just swivel now that the disk material is gone.
I would appreciate any info about getting this rag joint apart.
Thanks in advance,
Ken

• Sponsors (?)

not sure if this helps, but I just did the steering on my 91 bronco, there were two bolts on top of the rag joint. Remove those, and that seperates the column from the rag joint. There was then one more bolt going through on the bottom, that essentially clamped the rag joint around the gear. loosened that bolt, and it popped off.

Thanks for the help V8!
I will go out and give it a try. It just looks like I can undo the 2 main bolts, but as far as I can tell, the 2 stud looking things will still be attached and not let the linkage come apart. Maybe it's deceptive, sure hope so.
Right now the configuration is: A bolt and nut on the left and right sides of the circle. A stud on the top and bottom, all holding the disk material (which is completely gone) . The studs seem also be holding some triangle shaped looking metal parts. Right now the triangle parts can rotate all around the studs sine the disk is missing.
What a mess. I can't believe the previous owner drove around like this. It takes near a full half turn of the wheel to get any response from the car.
Oh well, back under the car. If anyone wants to chime in we will sure be thankful.
Ken

Mine just went bad reciently, the rubber between the bolts split in 3 places. All you have to do is unbolt the single bolt on the upper shaft up by the firewall, then the 2 bolts on the disk. The studs dont come out. Then there is a single bolt on the rack that connects the assembly to the unit.

Here is a pic of my new unit, got it from Ford for $125.

attachment.php

Thanks for the picture and reply.
I got the linkage out tonight without too much trouble.
If I am understanding you right......? The DISK is not replaceable??? The only thing I could see was the studs would have to be drilled out.
I see some replacement disk material packs at Auto Zone, even bought one but is was too small in diameter. Is replacing the whole linkage the only real fix for this?
If I have to buy a new linkage is there benefit by using the $125 piece from Ford vs the linkage with Universal joints from Texas Mustang Supply for $189?
I used the universal joint on my 93 and it worked great. The only concern I have is my 93 had unequal length shorty headers but my son's 92 here has EQUAL length shorties and I seem to remember from the past that some folks had problems fitting the shafts with the equal shorties. Anyone know?
We would appreciate all comments on this. We need to get this car running and out of the garage!!!
Thanks again, big help.
Ken

OK, now you have really got my interest.................was that $125 a typo? I just spend the past hour searching all the Ford part sites and the cheapest I could find for this stock replacement lower shaft was $225 That price was from Fordpartsnetwork.com who usually offers some pretty decent prices. What gives? What is your secret source?
Ken

The disk isnt replaceable, I tried that too with one of those repair kits from Autozone, the studs would have to be drilled or pressed out and the holes on the disk dont match up.

I got the knuckle from North Central Ford in Richardson Tx (north of Dallas) I paid 129.98 with tax. They had to order it but it came in the next day.

Im not sure about clearance issues with the headers, I just have the regular shorties. A friend of mine did put the equal length ones on his car but he did have to lift the engine up a little to get them in. :shrug:

Thanks again for the quick reply.
I am heading for our local Ford dealer and see what they say. I know they aren't a "price match" place like Wal Mart, but maybe they will be kind.
I did a search on here and saw where previous posters had claimed they had to pay over $225 for this piece. When I saw the same high price on the web I knew we were in trouble. Now hopefully you have saved the day. Thanks again,
Ken

i replaced the disk on my 92lx, it was a real pain, and it took some "modifying" but i have put about 5000 miles on it with no power steering and it hasnt given up yet. not that i would recomend anyone modifying the steering but it has worked and since i plan to go with a new rack and shaft i just needed it to get by for a while, which it has and isnt showing any sign of giving up yet

I'm glad that you were able to find a work-around for the disk problem. I went with a nice aftermarked unit on my old 93 and it worked great, but was hoping to stay stock on my son's car for now.
Here's the next bit of info:
I went to my Ford dealer today and asked to order the part. They said that the part was no longer serviced or available on their national network! If it had been it would run about $240
I asked about your $129 piece and they were puzzled for a little while. The answer finally showed up though..............
They found the exact price on a shaft that fit 85-93 4 cyl and V6 cars!!!??? Different stock number than V8 cars.
If this is the case, btw...I ordered one....did you find any difference betwen your old shaft and this "V6" shaft? I had them double check all their catalogs and reference tables and they assured me that the part you bought for $129.98 was this same shaft for the V6 cars. They could not tell what any differences there might be, but found one in the next city over so I could get it without any commitment to buy it if it doesn't look right.
Anyway, thought this info was interesting. All you V8 owners beware, the stock steering shafts/rag joints are gone!
Ken

Im sorry if I caused any confusion, I forgot that its the 4cyl part. I do know the racks between the 4s and the 8s are slightly different (steering ratios) but other than that they bolt up to the same place and use the same tie-rods and k-members. Im running the 5.0 steering pump with the 4cyl rack.

I went back over some old images I took of my swap and the 89 GT donor car I used and the knuckles look the same.

Hopefully the part # is the only difference. My car used to be a 4cyl. It fits just fine with the 5.0 in there, no clearance issues at all.

I also looked on www.stangparts.com, seems like the image they show is similar to what I have. They say 4cyl or V8 which would make me believe they are interchangable. They advertise them for $25 on their site, not sure how much shipping is. If you dont mind used, this is a good deal.

2869.jpg

DESCRIPTION: '87-'93, USED STEERING KNUCKLE, V8 OR 4CYL.
PRICE: $25.00

Thanks once again!
I picked up the unit today from my Ford dealer. We checked it over and it seems to be fine...same dimensions as the old one we had. We still could not get over how the catalog lists the V8 piece over $100 more than a V6 one!?!
Thanks for all the help, this should make the swap go smoothly.
Ken