Help, won't start (carb'd)

Boss 351

Here sthhhhhhhheeeve take a picthh of my man flowe
Jul 13, 2003
Canada
:bang:

I was kind of expecting this since the carb (Holley 600 double pump LIST-4776) is in need of a rebuild kit.

I turned the crank until TDC and placed the dizzy so that it was firing on #1. The problem is that I'm not sure if I'm on the compression stroke while the balancer's mark arrives with the "arrow". Even if I put my finger in the plug hole and have someone crank the engine, I don't feel the compression until the mark on the balancer is 2" from the arrow???

The engine while starting does have some fuel (maybe not enough since only the rear pump and jets are working on the carb). It has more than enough spark and it "seems" to arrive at the right time hence no big farts in the carb. Also what is not helping me is the dead battery :nonono: It almsot started last night though, it felt like the engine wanted to run but I ran out of juice before it could.

What happens is after about 5 or 6 turns (while starting) the engine seems to jam or the starter has trouble turning. I think this is due to the dead battery even boosting it doesn't seem to work 100% since I think the battery is draining the other one.

I took the carb off and I'm going to put in a rebuild kit (or pay someone to fix it up) and double check to see if the dizzy fires #1 at TDC (how can I do this again)?

Thanks for any help!

• Sponsors (?)

Boss 351 said:
:bang:

I turned the crank until TDC and placed the dizzy so that it was firing on #1. The problem is that I'm not sure if I'm on the compression stroke while the balancer's mark arrives with the "arrow". Even if I put my finger in the plug hole and have someone crank the engine, I don't feel the compression until the mark on the balancer is 2" from the arrow???

Thanks for any help!

If the compression arrives 2" before the marks on the balancer indicate TDC, the balancer may have spun. This is a common occurance with Mustangs. See http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=479142&highlight=TDC for Michael Yount's method of finding TDC even if your balancer has spun. Note that timing tapes that have degree marks on them are available from Summit for about $7.

THanks for the link. So I'll put something in the cylinder to check when the piston is up and remove the valve cover to see if both valves are closed? That should be when my dizzy is point at #1 :confused: :)