help

jlfrank

Apr 28, 2005
I was given a motor from a very good family friend and i havent really decided if it is worth my time to mess with it so i was wanting some help. Its a ford 400 bottem end the 351M heads I was just wondering in want range horsepower am i looking at with this motor?

The motor was built by him, but has never been ran sence it was assembled I have no idea what all is in the motor all i know is it is board and has oversize pistons stock crank and is camed.

I just want to know what a Stock 400 with stock 351M heads with put out?
thanks for the help

• Sponsors (?)

Probably only 200 or so. These were usually pickup truck engines and built more for tourqe than anything else. They're sorta big for most Mustangs (unless it's a '71-'73) and are really heavy pigs. You can probably make 350 with one with a bit of work, but usually not worth the effort. If you found a mid 70's truck with a blown engine, that would be a good place for it. The tranny bolt pattern is the same as a 429/460 BTW.

You should have this moved to Tech as this is mainly a O/T area, and you get no credit for posts, if that's your bag, I really don't care about my post count.