help

stangguy3.6

Mar 20, 2023
i have a 1997 ford mustang with the tremic t5 5 speed manual it just recently would not let me shift at all almost like my slave cilinder is bad but ive heatd it could be my clutch cable and or could it be out of fluid please help

• Sponsors (?)

There is no hydraulic slave cylinder in the 97 GT. It is cable (clutch cable) driven. Could be something as simple as a $5 pivot ball Cup, or the cable being misadjusted / bad. Also could be the fork or throw out bearing.

Welcome to Stangnet! :banana:

It should not be clutch related if you mean that you're unable to shift while driving. All synchronized manual transmissions can be operated without the clutch EXCEPT when engaging from a stop. All a clutch does is help facilitate a faster gear change. If you just apply light pressure when up-shifting, the transmission will eventually find the right place to engage the next gear. The trick is to only apply light pressure, don't try to force it. You can also down shift without a clutch. The trick there is when you take it out of the higher gear, you goose the accelerator pedal to raise the RPMs and again, apply light pressure to the lower gear and it will find the right location to engage. This is a trick truckers employ so as to not have to continually engage the clutch while shifting through as many gears as they have. I learned that that trick worked on my Mustang years ago, honestly on accident, when I drove delivery truck for a living.

Now, if it won't shift through gears when not running or if you can't engage the clutch at all, then something is most likely wrong mechanically. So you'll have to be a little more specific with what's going on.

Most likely a T5 Tremec or BW. Yes, they are hard to shift or near impossible with engine running and a poor clutch and/or release. It does have a cable as mentioned and probably still has the stock plastic-fantastic auto clutch cable adjuster, which may have finally stripped teeth. That will limit the travel and/or engagement of the clutch. I'd be looking there first and then the cable for replacement, or both.

1997 GT's didn't have the T5. They had the T-45. The V6 cars did have the T5. 1997 was also when Tremec purchased Borg-Warner, so the trans will likely have either name stamped on it. Also no slave cylinder.

Can you shift into gear from a dead stop? If you start the engine, and then press clutch in and wait 10 seconds, will it easily go into gear? If not, it points to a clutch disengagement issue.

Reactions: 1 user