Heres how I got a cheap set of aluminum heads

bcam347

Feb 27, 2011
Bought a set of these RHS 180s bare for $250 each.
http://www.racingheadservice.com/Information/Technical/Heads/SmallBlockFord-Heads.asp

they seem to flow pretty good:

Head......................................Head CC..........Valve sizing (Int/Exh)...Flow at .500” lift

AFR 165 Street.........................(58-64)....................1.90/1.60............243/185
AFR 185 Street/Strip................(58-64).....................2.02/1.60...........267/185
AFR 205 Race...........................(58)............... ...........2.08/1.60...........291/225
AFR 225 Race...........................(60)............... ...........2.08/1.60...........295/242
Canfield 192 Alum....................(54/58/65)...............2.02/1.60............262/190
Edelbrock #6025 (170cc).........(60).........................2.02/1.60............229/172
Edelbrock Victor Jr................................................ ...2.05/1.60............266/193
Holley Systemax Heads...........(61).........................1.94/1.60.............221/167
Pro Topline Alum (180cc).........(58/64)....................2.02/1.60 ............271/193
TFS Street Heat (192cc).......... (64).........................2.02/1.60.............255/190
Trick Flow High Port..................(64)........................ .2.02/1.60.............257/183
Trick Flow TW’s (170cc)............(61).........................2. 02/1.60.............251/187

had them surfaced, polished and assembled with comp and manley pieces. by a local guy for 525.00

I am 1025.00 in them, and they really run nice

2wqbu3a.jpg

Attachments

• 2wqbu3a.jpg
    2wqbu3a.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 119
  • Sponsors (?)

I was looking at their 215cc aluminum heads for the 351 build I am about to start. I've heard good things about them, especially from some local racers.

How did you get them for $250 each though? Was it from an individual? I am planning to get a set of AFR heads but if I could find a good deal like that later I would probably go the cheaper route. They might flow a little less but this will only be a street car so I don't have to have the best flowing heads and who wouldn't want to save several hundred dollars.

A month later but I finally got around to ordering a pair of these. $514 shipped isn't bad at all. I just went with the 180 cc for my 302 but they might end up on a 351 later so I might get them ported in the future, just so they can breath better for the larger engine. There suppose to be delivered tomorrow. I am going to take them to the machine shop for surfacing and then I'll assemble them myself. It is much cheaper than I had expected to pay for a set of AFR's if I had went that route. I talked to a few local people at the track that use RHS heads and they had nothing but good to say about them so hopefully they'll add some horses to this old stang.

friend of a friend, parts were 358.80, labor 125. :shrug:
Thats not bad at all man. I also have a friend that runs a machine shop. He owns Horseplay Performance just south of Florence, South Carolina. Him and my dad grew up running the strip together in high school and he gives me some really good deals. Ported and polished my GT40 intake and heads, as well as installing my springs, rockers, etc. Only thing he charged was the old set of E7's off my original setup and $50. It pays to have friends in the performance world

Will upload some pictures shortly of the heads I just received today. They have quite a bit of casting flash and will require some cleanup. It looks like someone already took a dremel to the insides of the ports to reduce some casting flash. Overall they seem to be ok except for neeeding the casting flash smoothed out. But for the money I'm saving I don't mind doing that. Pictures within in a few mins if all goes well....

Heres a few pictures of the heads.

img364.jpg

img366.jpg

As you can see someone has taken down the excessive casting flash inside the bowl area. They didn't hit the valve seat or anything. It all needs to be smoothed out for sure.
img368.jpg

This is a good example of just how much casting flash is on some locations.
img369.jpg

img370.jpg

img367.jpg

img365.jpg

That is pretty cheap. But I am still leery, has anyone here been running these for a while? I just base my stuff off "You get what you pay for." There is a reason why they are so cheap haha
I agree on your thinking. Though "cheap" doesn't always imply a lack of performance. A lot of time when you pay a higher price your may not be getting better performance, but rather a name and simply something that looks all pretty.

I was leery about buying these as well. Time will tell how it all turns out. So far they seem to be ok but they aren't pretty at all. They need not only cleaned up with a dremel, but they aren't shiny like TFS, AFR, etc. new out of the box. This would explain why the OP also got his polished.

I agree on your thinking. Though "cheap" doesn't always imply a lack of performance. A lot of time when you pay a higher price your may not be getting better performance, but rather a name and simply something that looks all pretty.

I was leery about buying these as well. Time will tell how it all turns out. So far they seem to be ok but they aren't pretty at all. They need not only cleaned up with a dremel, but they aren't shiny like TFS, AFR, etc. new out of the box. This would explain why the OP also got his polished.

Ya, plus how much is one gonna have to spend to make them all good to go? Obviously its better than say a set of iron GT40s, but by the time you are done how much would you have into them?