Here's the New Mustang Lineup Ford should build!

351CJ

Dec 11, 2002
Here's some thoughts on what Ford should come out with for regular and special models. Cars like the V6, V6 Pony, GT, GTS & Cobra should be regular models. The Mach & Boss models would be special edition models, made for 1 or 2 years at a time and rotated. Other than stripes, I haven't figured out what to do with any Shelby Models as the Boss & Cobra models pretty much cover all bases.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Mustang V6
202 HP / 235 lb. ft 4.0L 2V, SOHC V6 engine
P215/65R16 tires
Coupe Base MSRP $18,950

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mustang Pony V6
Adds or replaces on Mustang V6:
3.5L DOHC Duratec35 V6, with VCT 10.5:1 CR, 91 octane fuel
270 HP @ 6250 RPM / 260 lb. ft @ 4800 RPM
Independent rear suspension
3.73 rear axle ratio
8.8" Limited slip differential
Dual exhaust with down turned tips
P235/55R17 tires
Unique wheels
12.4"F / 11.8"R vented brake rotors
Unique rear spoiler
Unique Pony badging
Coupe Base MSRP $22,550

Mustang GT
4.6L SOHC, 3V, V8 engine, 87 Octane Fuel
300 HP @ 6000 RPM / 315 lb. ft @ 4500 RPM
3 link live rear axle.
3.27:1 8.8" Limited Slip axle*
*3.55:1 optional axle ratio
Dual Exhaust
GT badging
Rear Wing*
*Rear Wing Delete Option
12.4"F / 11.8"R Vented brake rotors
Coupe Base MSRP $24,950

Mustang GTS
Adds or replaces on Mustang GT
Independent Rear Suspension
Unique Suspension Tuning to maximize road handling
3.55 rear axle ratio
Limited Slip rear end
Unique Fog lamps mounted in bumper
Includes Deluxe Trim and Leather Seats
Rear Spoiler (duck-tail not wing)
GTS Badging
6 Speed MTX optional
Coupe Base MSRP $26,950

Mustang Mach 1
3 link live rear axle.
3.55 rear axle ratio*
*3.73 optional axle ratio
Limited Slip rear end
5.4L SOHC 3 valve, V8 engine, 9.8:1 compression ratio, 87 Octane fuel
350 HP @ 5800 RPM / 365 lb. ft @ 4000 RPM
Specially tuned 2.5" diameter exhaust system
Unique front spoiler
Unique rear wing
Unique Mach 1 graphics
Includes Deluxe Trim and leather seats
Shaker Hood Scoop
Performance Tuned Suspension
Magnum 500 style Heritage Wheels
Coupe Base MSRP $28,950

Mustang Boss 302
3.73 rear axle ratio*
4:10 optional axle ratio.
Limited Slip rear end
302 CID DOHC, 4 V, V8 engine with 10.0:1 CR, 91 Octane fuel
400 HP @ 6800 RPM / 370 lb. ft @ 4800 RPM
3.70" Bore x 3.55" stroke
High Performance 2.5" dia. X pipe exhaust system
Oil Cooler
Unique front spoiler
Unique rear wing
Unique Boss 302 graphics
Shaker Hood Scoop
Performance Tuned Suspension, lowered by 1 inch & tuned for road handling.
P255/45R18 tires with Heritage Wheels
6 Speed MTX standard
13.5"R / 12.5"R Dual Piston brake rotors
Coupe Base MSRP $33,550

Mustang Boss 351
*Optional 31 spline live rear axle with locking differential
3.55 rear axle ratio
Limited Slip rear end
351 CID, SOHC 3 valve V10 engine with 10.0:1 compression ratio (91 Octane fuel)
400 HP @ 5800 RPM / 430 lb. ft @ 4000 RPM
Performance tuned 2.75" diameter exhaust system and mufflers
3.55" bore x 3.54" stroke
Oil Cooler
Unique front spoiler
Unique rear wing
Unique Boss 351 graphics
Unique Hood Scoop
Coupe Base MSRP $34,550

Mustang Boss 429
High Performance 31 spline live rear axle.
3.23 rear axle ratio
Locking differential
429 CID, SOHC 3 valve V10 engine with 10.0:1 compression ratio (91 Octane fuel)
3.62" bore x 4.16" stroke
500 HP @ 5500 RPM / 500 lb. ft @ 3800 RPM
Special 3.0" diameter exhaust system and mufflers
Oil Cooler
6 Speed MTX only
Unique front spoiler
Unique rear wing
Unique grille w/o fog lamps
Unique Boss 429 graphics
Unique Hood Scoop
Drag Tuned Suspension
Coupe Base MSRP $37,950

SVT Cobra
3,73 rear axle ratio
Limited Slip rear end
5.4L SOHC, 3 V, V8 engine, Supercharged with 8.7:1 CR, 91 Octane fuel
470 HP @ 6500 RPM / 470 lb. ft @ 4500 RPM
3.55" Bore x 4.16" stroke
Unique Cobra Exhaust system
Unique front spoiler
Unique rear wing
Unique Cobra front and rear facias
Dual ram air hood scoops
P275/40ZR18 tires
Cobra 10" wide wheels
6 Speed MTX standard
13.5"R / 12.5"R Dual Piston brake rotors
Coupe Base MSRP $35,950

• Sponsors (?)

I don't see a Boss 429 happening like that. I don't know why Ford would do that. And putting the 5.0 Cammer in a Boss 302 doesn't sound like Ford either. I'd love to have that, I would be the first in line for one, but I think Ford will probably stick to the 4.6 and 5.4, maybe something different, but I'm not holding my breath.

Forget the BOSS 429, BOSS 302, Mach 1, and Pony V6. The BOSS 351 might happen, and a GTS wouldn't be too bad. Although I think GTS isn't a very great name for it, I would still like to see a GT upgraded with IRS and a T56.

The T56 should really be optional equipment on the GT to begin with, but I guess Ford didn't want the complexity of that option (?).

Reactions: 1 user
Dudes - you didn't read the first thing I said in my post:

Cars like the V6, V6 Pony, GT, GTS & Cobra should be regular models.

The Mach & Boss models would be special edition models, made for 1 or 2 years at a time and rotated.

Other than stripes, I haven't figured out what to do with any Shelby Models as the Boss & Cobra models pretty much cover all bases.

That is there would NEVER be all the models I listed available for sale during the same year.

There are rumors of a 427 Corvette in 2006, so the Boss 429 may be needed more than you think. With the V10 truck block a Boss 429 would not be that hard to do. I'm sure that at some point the V10 truck engine is going to go to 3 valve heads, so there's your head castings too. The Boss 429 would, of course, be a very limited edition model, I can't see more than 3000 units being made over its 2 year production run. It probably wouldn't be that great a car either, with it's big heavy iron block V10 truck engine up front, but that wouldn't matter.

The original 1969 Boss 429 was a DOG off the showroom floor, but here it is 35 years later and people still worship the 1969 Boss 429 like it was the 2nd coming of the Messiah. That's the whole idea of a new Boss 429. A totally impractical, over the top ridiculous Mustang, but something your grand kids will still be drooling over in the year 2039.

Z28x said:
Looks good, but why would anyone buy the 400HP Boss 351 when for the same money you could have the 470HP S/C 5.4L Cobra?

Maybe they could be avalible different years

The Boss 302 would only be made for a year or 2 and then gone. So you are buying exclusivity and a piece of history and getting that 302 engine almost everyone seems to want.

Like I said at the very beginning of the thread, the different "Feature Models" would be rotated every year or two, so there would never be more than one feature model on sale at the same time.

V6, V6 Pony, GT, GTS, Cobra are "standard" models available most years.

Feature models are rotated, something like this:

2006 Boss 302

2007 Boss 302, Mach 1

2008 Mach 1, Boss 429

2009 Boss 429, Boss 351

2010 Boss 351, Shelby GT-350

You can talk about after maket tuners all you want, like Saleen, Roush or whomever, but nothing will hold its value in the future like a "factory car". (Shelby's excluded). In 20 years, what will be more desireable and have more value, a 2008 factory Boss 429 or a Saleen S281?

GelatiCruiser said:
You wouldn't sell too many GT's or GTS models at 300 hp with a V6 at 270.

HP is not the important #, TORQUE is:

260 lb. ft projected for the Duratec35 with 10.5:1 compression.
315 lb. ft for the 4.6L SOHC 3V
55 lb ft more @ lower RPM = big difference.

Two simple reasons for a Mustang V6 performance model:

1. Silence the auto critics who will say Ford can't build a V6 Mustang that is competitive with the imports.

2. Provide a Mustang V6 model with reasonble performance but with lower total cost of ownership, initial cost, insurance, gasoline, etc. so it is more attractive to younger customers.

A performance V6 like I described will have a minimal impact on GT sales, but it would capture some sales from people who would have bought imports or bought a used GT instead of a new Mustang.

351CJ said:
Like I said at the very beginning of the thread, the different "Feature Models" would be rotated every year or two, so there would never be more than one feature model on sale at the same time.

V6, V6 Pony, GT, GTS, Cobra are "standard" models available most years.

You can talk about after maket tuners all you want, like Saleen, Roush or whomever, but nothing will hold its value in the future like a "factory car". (Shelby's excluded). In 20 years, what will be more desireable and have more value, a 2008 factory Boss 429 or a Saleen S281?

The problem is you are still talking about 5 models in every year minimum. While it would be nice. I think it's impractical. You would be better off hopig you could option the cars out to the V6pony or gts. Rather than have them try making alterations to the build as they go down the assembly line. My opinion is the dealer should be able to put in the add on pieces for a reasonable cost.

SVTdriver said:
The problem is you are still talking about 5 models in every year minimum. While it would be nice. I think it's impractical. You would be better off hopig you could option the cars out to the V6pony or gts. Rather than have them try making alterations to the build as they go down the assembly line. My opinion is the dealer should be able to put in the add on pieces for a reasonable cost.

Are you guys considering that the new Mustang will probably sell 30% - 40% more units per year than it has averaged over the last 5 years? With these additional sales Ford could easily support another model each year.

There is no way a dealer can install significant upgrades like IRS, 6 speed trannie, different engine, etc. at a reasonable cost. Besides with some of the incompetance I've seen at a couple dealers I wouln't trust some of them to rotate my tires or change my oil. Yea I know there are good dealers but someone I used to work with had her dealer forget to put oil in her car when they "changed" it. :bang:

The problem with that argument is the probably. While I am not doubting that it will sell more cars. I'm not sure that it will sell that many. And until it does Ford likely won't even consider adding extra regular models.

SVTdriver said:
The problem with that argument is the probably. While I am not doubting that it will sell more cars. I'm not sure that it will sell that many. And until it does Ford likely won't even consider adding extra regular models.

By regular models you mean what? The V6, GT, and maybe a GTS? And the rest are special orders? And I'm not sure if there will be a GT350 or GT500, it hasn't been confirmed, but maybe a Boss and/or a Mach 1 might be thrown in as special models. And I know I doubt there will be many different engine options availible, if any, the 60's Mustangs had tons of options and packages, I think Ford MIGHT be trying to recapture those times, when there were many options, you could get it anyway you wanted. Thats what I tend to think will happen.