Hesitation at highway speed.

horseplay01

Dec 26, 2003
VA
My 2001 GT has 35,000 miles on it, and I am getting a hesitation/bucking when I am cruising around 60 mph . The rpms are around 1800. It has a slight stumble sometimes during acceleration. I have had the car checked for a code at my local Ford dealership. They replaced the TPS but it didn't help.
I have done several searches on this.
1)I am going to replace the fuel filter today.
2)How do you clean the MAF?
3)Plugs maybe.
4)Resetting the computer? Uplug + or - cable and press brake 3 times?

Thanks for your help in advance!!

• Sponsors (?)

I have the same problem

I have an 01 white GT and mine does the same thing. My parents grand marquis had the same problem too and it is a 2000. I've tried injector cleaner so far with no luck. Today my dad is going to help me assess the problem. I'll let you know what I find.

I had the same problem. If I started out at low rpms in a higher gear, the car would miss. Highway speeds in 5th, it would buck a little if I gave it some gas. Plugs, wires, and a chip and tune were what was recomended. I'm also getting the complete fuel system flush. We'll see when I get the car back. What mods, if any, do you have?

Is your car Auto or 5spd?? Ur right, the first thing i would check is fuel delivery, but i was getting the same thing on my 96, and my problem was the clutch was slipping at low rpms in 5th gear. the stock clutch is crap, if it is worn out a little bit, it wont hold on with a good amout of throttle at low rpms and high gear :nonono: . But try a fuel system cleaner first see if that helps

Here's what I did because i thought it was the coil on the plug. The car only jerks when the engine is under load so we put the grand marquis in gear and gave it a little gas while pushing the brake. My dad went underhood and checked the timing and it appeared that the car was missing out on cylinder #4. We replaced the coil on plug on that cylinder and that fixed the problem on his grand marquis. This is okay if you have an automatic but my 01 GT is a 5spd and I don't know how I'll figure out which cylinder(s) it is. We did this finally after we both used injector cleaner and put new fuel filters on.