Hey everyone!!! Got my first Stang project and need help!!!

xxxrangerxxx

Feb 5, 2008
Hey, first off my names Nick and I just got registered with you guys and wanted to ask for some help...I just recently bought the body (trans good but engines shot) to a 2005 Ford Mustang GT. The engine of course is a 4.6L 3V-My question is I would like to re-build the engine and do a 4v DOHC swap instead with a 6-speed transmission (cause I wanna do a GT-500 Replica except with a 5.0 Stroked 4.6L 32V)...I know I would need to change the heads and all...Heres my questions and please help me out with a response!

1. Would I need to change the engine computer and so on for the DOHC conversion? Could I retain the electronic throttle control?

2. Do I need a new block for the 4.6L DOHC heads and intake, or do they just bolt on?

3. Also, in the future I would like to supercharge it...Any recommendations on something that won't affect drivability?

I just started college and I have a limited budget but I am in no hurry, I'm pretty occupied with Army ROTC but I will be starting on her soon so please give me some advice! Thanks in advance!!!

• Sponsors (?)

:D WELCOME :SNSign: hmm, first question, why are you wanting to switch everything? are you just looking for more power? if so, i would rebuild the 3v with forged dish head pistons and drop the compression to about 8:1 and boost the S**T out of it. . like 20psi. that should get you in the 800hp range. but if your going for bigger displacement, sorry dont know those answers.

Short awnser: Yes you would have to swap the PCM to a '03-'04 cobra PCM (assuming those are the heads you would be using) . This would mean a lot of work switching out harnesses and the like. As far as the block, I'm not sure, but I think the block is the same. That is, as far as the deck surface for the heads and mounting point etc.

There is really no need to switch out to 4 valve heads. The three valves flow great, mostly likely better than you will ever need on the street. There are many cars with forged bottom ends and ported heads making great numbers in the 3 valve configuration. If I were you I'd either rebuild or swap out the 4.6 that is already in there and swap in a forged bottom end with built heads and like suggested before, boost the crap out of it. 600 horsepower is an easy number to hit anymore with the supercharger and turbo combos out there. All you need to make more power is more money.

Besides, in what you would save not doing a 4v swap you could build a forged 3 valve AND supercharge it right away.

Why bother swapping at all? I would just stroke the 4.6L to a 5.0L, port the heads get a matching set of cams to the 6spd, final drive gear and if you want all motor or supercharger and the car will make a **** load of power with the 3v system. :D

The 3 valve is a less complicated motor, I believe easier to work with and on. There getting insane numbers from the 3 valve. As mentioned, I believe I would do a SC 5.0 stroker. Like you say, you have some time to think about it. Ford is floating the rummors that they are working on some big bore create motors for the stang. 1) was a 351 2) was a 7 liter, Roush is playing around with a couple of the 7 liters, 700 hp n/a and running on E-85 no less. I know that if they would build a 351 create motor that put out 400-450 hp and sale it for around 5 grand I'ld be interested. Ford has a DOHC 5.0 create motor, but they want over 10 grand for that beast. 2 cams is enough to buy without going to 4. Welcome to the site, I was in Air Force R.O.T.C, it's a great program.

I'd stay tuned for a possibly crate motor swap (351 ideally). It's already done for you and you know it's solidly built. Then just get your tranny and gears and possibly the SC. You'll be good to go.

BTW, I just gotta do it..... GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY! Air Force too...lol :flag: