Hey guys, new here. Looking to get into a New Edge :D

RSXType-Slow

Sep 28, 2009
Hey guys, I've currently got a bolt-on and suspension 2006 RSX-S, and I want to get into a New Edge 4V car. It's between a 99-01 Cobra or a Mach 1... Not sure which route to go though. I do know that the Cobra has an IRS while the Mach has a live axle... Other than that, what are some of the pros and cons on each car? Thanks in advance for any help. :)

BTW, here's a pic of my car for kicks, even though I know this is a Mustang forum (I'm gonna keep the RSX as my DD, the Mustang will be the weekend/track car):

RSX-SLowered2.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Mach's seem to run a little better to me than 99-01 Cobra, despite the Cobra's higher peak hp rating. I believe the Mach 1's have a broader curve than the Cobras.

Someone will either back me up soon or correct me, but that's what I gather from what I've read.

I like both 03/04 Mach 1's & 99/01 Cobra's, but since I'm biased, I'm gonna say go for the Mach 1....

03/04 Mach 1's seem to have more low end & mid range power, while 99/01 Cobra's have a little more top end. The Mach 1 also has the better flowing 03/04 Cobra heads & I believe have slightly different cams than the 99/01 Cobra's. The live axle in the Mach 1's definitely make for a great straight lin drag car, but the IRS in the Cobra handles better & has MUCH better ride quality on the street, but is horrible from a dig...

In the looks department, the Mach 1 takes the cake hands down....

My Mach 1 laid down 280rwhp/294rwtq with only an intake, catted midpipe, & catback. With the addition of a canned tune, it laid down 289rwhp/311rwtq. With the addition of Long tube headers, catless midpipe, intake spacer, & a real dyno tune, the car laid down 315rwhp/327rwtq... That is a difference of 35rwhp/33rwtq from stock-ish form with only exhaust, intake, & tune mods... Pretty good bang for the buck IMO...

Im gonna pic whore a little too to help steer you in the right direction...:D

549810062_LSCet-X2.jpg

549758007_Pc9o5-X2.jpg

Nice RSX too BTW!!!:nice:

welcome! Where are you from?

Nice RSX! That is a great looking color.

What type of racing do you do? If you know how to turn the steering wheel, I'd go with the cobra. If you only know how to go strait(myself included), go with the Mach. I like the looks of the Mach, but to each their own. The Cobra is kind of unique, since production stopped for 2000. At the drag strip, the cars should be about equal. Launching the cobra will be easier since it does have a live axle, but after a few passes on the IRS, you will figure it.

I like both 03/04 Mach 1's & 99/01 Cobra's, but since I'm biased, I'm gonna say go for the Mach 1....

03/04 Mach 1's seem to have more low end & mid range power, while 99/01 Cobra's have a little more top end. The Mach 1 also has the better flowing 03/04 Cobra heads & I believe have slightly different cams than the 99/01 Cobra's. The live axle in the Mach 1's definitely make for a great straight lin drag car, but the IRS in the Cobra handles better & has MUCH better ride quality on the street, but is horrible from a dig...

In the looks department, the Mach 1 takes the cake hands down....

My Mach 1 laid down 280rwhp/294rwtq with only an intake, catted midpipe, & catback. With the addition of a canned tune, it laid down 289rwhp/311rwtq. With the addition of Long tube headers, catless midpipe, intake spacer, & a real dyno tune, the car laid down 315rwhp/327rwtq... That is a difference of 35rwhp/33rwtq from stock-ish form with only exhaust, intake, & tune mods... Pretty good bang for the buck IMO...

Im gonna pic whore a little too to help steer you in the right direction...:D

549810062_LSCet-X2.jpg

549758007_Pc9o5-X2.jpg

Nice RSX too BTW!!!:nice:

You have every right to whore pics. Your care is as amazing as always :)

Definitely get the mach. I remember reading an article in 5.0 magazine where they tested an 01 cobra, mach 1 and a bullit and the mach 1 came out on top. Correct me if im wrong but don't the cobras weight more than the mach's???

Anyway i've never heard any real great things about the 99-01 cobras, the machs on the other hand ive heard nothing but good things about.

the IRS is a bit heavier as an assembly than the solid axle in the Mach, and the IRS soaks up a bit more power than a solid axle, but on the other hand the IRS makes for a nicer ride and better handling in many conditions. In the IRS there is less weight at each wheel that moves when you go over a bump, so it tends to keep the wheels on the ground more.

I'd rather have the Cobra, but I've owned solid axle Mustangs before. And I'm not kidding myself about a small-displacement DOHC V8 turning into some top fuel dragster just because it's got a solid axle. On the other hand the Cobra would be tempting because it is an IRS Mustang. The power difference is negligible and IMHO the Cobra is the better car for anything other than pure drag racing.

welcome! Where are you from?

Nice RSX! That is a great looking color.

What type of racing do you do? If you know how to turn the steering wheel, I'd go with the cobra. If you only know how to go strait(myself included), go with the Mach. I like the looks of the Mach, but to each their own. The Cobra is kind of unique, since production stopped for 2000. At the drag strip, the cars should be about equal. Launching the cobra will be easier since it does have a live axle, but after a few passes on the IRS, you will figure it.

I agree, you said you go to the track. Purchase the right car for the track you'll be heading to. The cars ultimately will be very similair other than the one being better than the other on a given surface.

You have every right to whore pics. Your care is as amazing as always :)

I want Epik's red Mach 1 after posting that pic!!! F#cking A dude....awesome ride!!

patrick

Thanks Guys!!!:D

Correct me if im wrong but don't the cobras weight more than the mach's???

According to official specs online, 03/04 Mach 1's have a curb weight of 3,465 lbs, & 99/01 Cobra's have a curb weight of 3,430 lbs??? This can't be right? I know for a fact that an IRS assembly is at the bare minimum 85 lbs heavier than an solid axle?? The factory Mach 1 wheels are a bit heavier than the 99/01 Cobra wheels, but how can slightly heavier wheels, thin factory subframe connectors, & a shaker assembly make a Mach 35 lbs heavier than an 01 Cobra???

I know when I weighed mine at the track it weighed 3,350 lbs with a 1/4 tank of gas. This was with the added weight from a panhard bar, full length SFC's, 18X9"/18X10" FR500's, & LT headers. Only weight savings were from a tubular k member, no cats, & coil overs...

EPIK, what finish are on those FR500's and where did you buy them?

They are silver finish & I purchased them from LMperformance.com back in early 2006.

According to official specs online, 03/04 Mach 1's have a curb weight of 3,465 lbs, & 99/01 Cobra's have a curb weight of 3,430 lbs??? This can't be right? I know for a fact that an IRS assembly is at the bare minimum 85 lbs heavier than an solid axle?? The factory Mach 1 wheels are a bit heavier than the 99/01 Cobra wheels, but how can slightly heavier wheels, thin factory subframe connectors, & a shaker assembly make a Mach 35 lbs heavier than an 01 Cobra???

Do Cobras have a forged crank like manual Machs? That adds some weight as well. And yea Epiks car is the ****. :flag: