Hi, 95 Gt Conv Original Owner Need Upgrades.

Chad747

May 28, 2017
Hi, I bought my 95 GT convertible when I got my first job. Salesman saw me coming, had a 760 Volvo, he said keep it for the weekend and bring it back if you want! Now, it is time for some upgrades. I know it needs paint, top and new window tint. It has been through about 5 torque converters. Everything else is stock. It is very slow, again due to the torque converter, I guess. I am looking to put my mid-life crisis money into this old girl, about 10K.
Please suggest upgrades that don't change the outward appearance but make it stronger and fun to drive around town.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Keep it an AOD? Or do 5 spd. swap is my suggestion.. esp. if you keep destroying converters.. hell i've run the same t5 for years on some cars and I beat the living piss out of them....

Starters though... if all mechanical is in good working order...

Gears, i'd go 3.55 or 3.73's depending on how much freeway/around town driving you do.. some say it's not a huge deal and to just go 373 but it does increase the frequency of your shifts..

Catback exhaust, headers, underdrive pullies, gears, pro 5.0 shifter/shift kit for aod/t.body/MAF/plugs/wires/coil, new 02 sensors, maybe some shocks/struts, lowering springs..

How crazy you wanna go? lol. I just finished a vortech S trim install along with 42 lb injectors, 90mm maf, etc.. it gets expensive FAST

Keep it an AOD? Or do 5 spd. swap is my suggestion.. esp. if you keep destroying converters.. hell i've run the same t5 for years on some cars and I beat the living **** out of them....

Starters though... if all mechanical is in good working order...

Gears, i'd go 3.55 or 3.73's depending on how much freeway/around town driving you do.. some say it's not a huge deal and to just go 373 but it does increase the frequency of your shifts..

Catback exhaust, headers, underdrive pullies, gears, pro 5.0 shifter/shift kit for aod/t.body/MAF/plugs/wires/coil, new 02 sensors, maybe some shocks/struts, lowering springs..

How crazy you wanna go? lol. I just finished a vortech S trim install along with 42 lb injectors, 90mm maf, etc.. it gets expensive FAST
Yes, I do want to keep it an automatic. When I shift it into drive and push the pedal to the floor, I want it to go crazy. I had a 79 Trans Am as my first car, that MF would spin the wheels till you begged it to stop.

Take 2 grand or 2500 and go buy a built tranny. Huh Huh.

Spend the other 7500 cleaning it up, refreshing it, and making sure it'll haul ass for another 100k miles..

After you get into it.. you will find a lot needs to be replaced. or you simply don't want to put it back on stock, because you know it's going to fail soon, anyways.. believe me lol.. I just ripped my 95 cobra apart, alongside a 95 v6 5spd and took them all down 95% of the way in my garage.. then built one super cobra lol.

The things you find from other peoples work lolol.. though I guess.. this is just your work.. however.. there will likely still be LOTS of crap you want to replace to 'better than stock' while you have it apart.. lower control arms.. new valver cover gaskets, oil pan gasket (inspect the crank/etc) motor mounts, all sorts of crap you forget about along the way will come up trashed..

It adds up, too. If you wanna go fast, reliably, it isn't cheap sadly anymore.. I just probably dumped a solid 15k into this.. not including the car lol.. ugh.

Fun now, though hahahaha

Vortech is the best thing i've ever done.

Fresh paint,new top,Viper window tint,and H/C/I kit. Also headers,h pipe,catback exhaust is something to consider. If there is something wrong with your torque converter a built transmission could be in your near future.