hi...... a beginners question PLZ answer

Mustanggt108

Sep 23, 2005
guys this is not a joke.I'm really new in the car world.a person has to start somewhere right!?
anyways i hear people always saying they removed the air silencer on their mustangs. what is the air silencer ? and where is it located?and how can i remove it. maybe a picture might help too. Thank you so much guys and sorry for the noob question

• Sponsors (?)

Only a newbie once - WELCOME!
The air silencer is the rubber cone attached to the air filter housing. At the end, the opening is only about 3 inches, but if you remove it entirely, the opening on the housing is much larger.
How to do it? Remove the housing completely (like you are changing the air filter - there is a clamp the you need to flip the lock on, then manuveur the housing off) then just tug on the silencer. As stated, it's just rubber and will bend/flex. Then reassemble.

squares98 said:
if you want some real advice, dont waste your time removing the silencer. It wont do anthing besides make you exhaust annoying

Someone had a dyno sheet with and without the silencer on a stock GT, the silencer took two or close to two overall horsepower away.

Okay yea, so it's not something youre really gonna feel.. but it's worth it.

How did it make your exhaust annoying? On my stock GT it's fine.

WillDuhhBeast said:
Someone had a dyno sheet with and without the silencer on a stock GT, the silencer took two or close to two overall horsepower away.

Okay yea, so it's not something youre really gonna feel.. but it's worth it.

How did it make your exhaust annoying? On my stock GT it's fine.

Send a link then, please. Here's one saying he gained both HP and torque.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=582208

Its not going to hurt anything...but your talking MAYBE 1HP at BEST. Its nothing big, but its the rubber thing attached to the hard plastic box thats holds the air filter...the rubber silencer extends into the inner fender. Try making a cold air induction setup our of hard flex dyer vent...mine works good....just have it blow on the filter if you dont want to sealed.

I think he should take it off. Everyone does it. Matter of fact everyone here has probably taken it off and put it on several times just to see if there is a difference.

Clean up and condition all that rubber and plastic while you are in there. Throw in a K&N air filter... Reset your PCM and then take it out and drive it like you f'n stole it. Welcome to teh club :nice:

squares98 said:
if you want some real advice, dont waste your time removing the silencer. It wont do anthing besides make you exhaust annoying
huhuh.gif
If you want some honest advice, ignore square, and listen to Kilgore -
Kilgore Trout said:
I think he should take it off. Everyone does it. Matter of fact everyone here has probably taken it off and put it on several times just to see if there is a difference.

Clean up and condition all that rubber and plastic while you are in there. Throw in a K&N air filter... Reset your PCM and then take it out and drive it like you f'n stole it. Welcome to teh club :nice:
Square's thinking, like too many others, feel that anything but cams, blowers and LTs is just a waste - come on guys...some people simply can't afford these high ticket items and cannot DIY the install on these items either. Some of us have other priorities in life.