Hi From AZ - White 99 GT

PonyRyder

Jan 17, 2019
Arizona
Only had her for a few months but I can already tell this will be my daily driver for many years to come as I continue to restore her to her former glory. Winter has forced a pause but I still slip in a few improvements when I can.
mini-2018-12-20-14h.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks. Took it for a couple hundred mile drive yesterday and noticed my windshield fogged up first thing in the morning when I started it and I could smell coolant so I'm researching the replacement of heater cores on the New Edge. Surprisingly there isn't all that much on YouTube. I guess I'll try a stop leak for now since it does appear to be minor right now. The level in the tank didn't go down and it didn't do it again but it has me concerned.

The idea of pulling the entire dash doesn't appeal to me at all right now. I found a video where they kinda half pulled a Foxbody dash to replace the core and did it under 4 hours start to finish. I'm wondering if the drivers side can be loosened and the passenger side pulled back enough to get at the core box to replace it on a New Edge. Probably be a Spring time job or at least when it warms up over 60 during the day.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuuEFn-prIA

My car had the same issue after I bought it. There were two options for me. The first option was to bypass the heater core completely. It's not really necessary in Hawaii because of our year round temperatures. The second option, which is what I went with, was to replace the heater core. I would've done it myself, but I wasn't confident in my ability to do so. I ended up taking it to a shop that did the job for $1,800. Didn't want to spend that kind of money, but wanted a permanent fix rather than a band aid. Don't know if it'll help, but just wanted to say a little about my own experience with cooling issues.

I think I might have gotten lucky; at least for now. I did some research and found most people who had a tiny leak in their heater core were able to fix it with a stop leak product. Further research showed the Bar's 60-size tablets to be effective. I think if someone has a large leak then the stop leak products won't work but as long as it's small; it does. Time will tell. Some people find this to be a permanent fix. I even put a couple tablets in my F150 as a preventative because it also helps with the PH balance.