Hi. I'm new. 98 Cobra Bent Axle.

sbk93036

New Member
Mar 28, 2026
1
0
1
St. Louis
Hi all. New here. I bought my 98 Cobra, Oxford white, new in 98. She's my baby. Went from garage to Daily driver unfortunately.
She needs some work.
Two years ago I hit black ice & spun into a curb. A friend's mechanic friend says I have a rear bent axle.
Now she needs some tlc, but was running fine.
So, I'm thinking of selling her as is to another enthusiast. I don't have the money or time, I don't think, lol.
I see estimates around 1500 to have it fixed on here.
Would there be a market for someone to buy her Fort parts or to build her up?
Thanks all!
 
Nothing special about that axle if it’s a solid axle car which I’m 99% sure it is. One from a 94-98 V6, GT or Cobra will work and those should be plentiful in salvage/recycle yards. Literally takes about 4 hours to swap it out. Would suggest you get gear oil specific RTV for the differential cover. Let that set up overnight before filling with gear oil and limited slip additive.

Permatex Green RTV Differential Gear Oil Gasket Maker 3 oz
https://www.autozone.com/p/permatex-multi-purpose-adhesive-81182/166685?vehicleId=1899702&makeId=54&makeName=Ford&modelId=688&modelName=Mustang&vehicleTypeId=5&vehicleTypeName=Car+&+Truck&year=1993
 
Gear lube specific?
Hell, gear lube is the easiest fluid to seal against
Any silicone you find will seal gear lube
Green?
I use clear, black or grey and not the ultra
Ford sells no green silicone sealer, just black, clear and grey
* You want it NOT to look like some aftermarket folks have been working on it, Right?
 
Bent axle? Or bent axle shaft? Usually when a car kisses curb, i've seen the axle shafts themselves bend at the hub. If you put the rear on jackstands and put in gear you'll see the wheel itself wobble.

Can be a cheap repair for a good DIYer as a shaft could be obtained used for $50 and then it's just some time and fluids to swap it out.

Of course, would need to see the damange to really assess if the fix is as easy as I make it out to be.