High temp, battery light, low voltage, and it won't start with out a push.

officer dick

Apr 10, 2007
NC
So my stang is running fine till I come out of the grocery store. First, the engine won't turn over so I need a push. Next, under acceleration, the battery light flashes erratically and the voltage looks a little low. Then I'm almost back to my place and I notice the temp gauge has skyrocketed. As I pull into the parking lot though, the gauge drops back down to normal and then jumps right back up.

What's going on here?!!! Please help, I need this repaired this weekend.

• Sponsors (?)

Remove the altenator and take it to autozone or a auto parts store to have it tested. If the alternator is fine, have the battery tested to see if it will hold a charge. Start there and see if that fixes the problem. Mine did the same thing when my alternator went bad. It made the gauges jump all around.

I agree - a primary electrical issue will cause other systems to whack out. Don't be surprised if your radio turns off, the dash clock goes out, etc.

Good advice above. Also, check the stator fuse in the underhood fusebox.

If it all tests out ok (alt and battery), the ignition switch might be going out.

Good luck.

your starting problem is from your battery not getting charged by the alternator. Another way to check to see if your alternator is bad is jump start the car with jumper cables. Once the car is started remove the negitve battery cable. If the car turns off than your alternator is bad. I guessing your battery is good. But the best way to find out for sure is to take out the alternator and have it tested. Its free and easy.

your starting problem is from your battery not getting charged by the alternator. Another way to check to see if your alternator is bad is jump start the car with jumper cables. Once the car is started remove the negitve battery cable. If the car turns off than your alternator is bad. I guessing your battery is good. But the best way to find out for sure is to take out the alternator and have it tested. Its free and easy.

With all due respect, I'd seriously not want to do this. When the battery is disconnected, a huge voltage spike can occur. This can wipe out the sensitive electronics in these cars or even damage the alternator itself.

I know there will be folks whom say they did it and nothing fried, but that doesn't make it correct. WIth the other methods of testing (dynamics tests at parts stores, bench tests, using a DMM for shadetree testing, etc), there's no need to take a risk.

:nono:
Don't do this! you will smoke your voltage regulator at the very least. It is not true that your engine will run with the battery disconnected (except if you have a magneto ignition). The alternator requires a power source to operate.

Well, the battery is fine. And even with a jump, the starter gives one loud click and doesn't turn over. I've noticed that when I hit a big bump that the battery light flashes and the gauges bounce around. Loose ground connection?

If a jump doesnt allow it to crank:

Hook the jumper up again. this time connect the alligator clips to your actual battery post (and not to the cables, as we often do because it's easier). If the issue is fixed, it's a bad battery post and cable connection.

If that doesnt help, take one jumper cable and run it from the engine to a clean piece of metal on the frame. You've just made a beefy engine ground. Now see if the car starts.

In general, go over all your battery and ground connections. The Power distribution Center connection is prone to causing all sorts of issues when it corrodes or becomes loose.

Good luck.