Highperformer

wyldside74

Feb 15, 2011
Hey everyone....I had a few post about possibly getting a new motor for my tired 302 :( I looked all over then i picked up a Mustang Magazine today and read a ad for highperformer.com so I gave a call today to see what they offer. I can get a 5.0 motor with E7 (then something) the heads he said they werent the stock heads he confused me a bit. He sad that the heads are ported the intake and exhaust. I asked again and he said they were better or comparable to the GT40P Heads but better flow. It also comes with a E303 Cam. Fully rebuilt with 7 year, 100,000 mile warranty. He said I would have to mod the computer for this motor. I told him I plan on using 24lb injectors and a 70mm TB and a 76Mass Air. He said no mods then to the computer with these upgrades. Is this true? He said shipped to me for $2,500 bucks. Worth it? thoughts? I would use a trick flow intake though. I called around to have my Block machined and rebuilt would be $2,000 with a trickflow top end kit installed costing $2,500, then another $500-$700 for themotor swap. Im torn on what to do.

Heres some spec on the motor I was quoted today.

Engines remanufactured by our remanufacturing line meet or exceed O.E.M. specifications.
- New Manley valves
- New Elgin valve springs and keepers
- New Badger pistons
- New Hastings molly rings
- New Dynagear timing gears and Durabond cam bearings
- New Dynagear timing gears and chain
- New Elgin lifters, push rods, rockers, balls and nuts
- New Dynagear oil pump
- New FelPro gaskets
- Cylinder heads are pressure checked
- Diamond honed valve guides
- Three angle cut valve seats
- All head surfaces are broached
- Blocks are bored with deck plates, cylinder walls are diamond honed
- Crankshafts are ground and polished for .002 clearance
- Camshafts are ground to O.E.M. specifications, hardened and polished
- Connecting rods are sized to .002 clearance

• Sponsors (?)

I don't need to read all that to know it's not a good deal.

A junkyard explorer p engine is valued at between $500-$750. Some even less.
An e cam is worth like $75 on a good day.
Some gaskets and swap over your accessory setup.
You really don't even need the 24's for it, then use a good mass air meter, a 76mm is a C&L, stay away from that one.

Anyone that tells you that you have to modify the computer for that setup is clueless anyway.

As far as the warranty, sounds like bs to me.

Dammmm...Everywhere I turn i tthink Im getting deals and no such luck. I have called about 6 or 8 places nobody will add a trickflow kit to my existing motor. It seems like they are all connected from what they say...lol they all say the same thing Im not wasting my time or YOUR money. they said it will be fine for 10K then start sucking Oil and eventually need a full rebuild. I wanted to do it all at once but im looking at like $5,500. I have $4,000 set a side.

I have both a C&L 73MM and a PRO M RACING 75MM Bullit. Drivability seem about the same to me, but my car seems to make more power with the PRO M Racing mass air meter. Personally I prefer the PRO M Racing one.

And my motor, I built myself! Something to think about if you have the skills!

I also am a skeptic. Off the top of my head I want to say that the GT40P heads flow something like 220 on the intake side. If you REALLY know what you're doing, and you have a flowbench you can get them up that high, but the people that I know that have the ability and tools to do that will charge $1,000 in port work alone. There goes that. The Manley valves are overpriced and inferior to some cheaper valves. I've seen the Manley Severe Duty valves shatter.

I went to check the site, and it takes me to some "Monster Transmission" page.

If your engine is really tired, goto car-parts.com and search 5.0 engines from 97-2000 ford explorers.
Then click on distance so you know which ones are close to you.

Investing any real money in a 302 to make it a 306 is pretty pointless when there are thousands of explorer engines available.

If you want, sell the parts off the explorer engine and buy your trick flow top end.

It's not a performance engine with E7 heads. I don't think the guy is offering a bad deal, in honesty. You're not likely to find many rebuilt engines for significantly cheaper than he is offering. You're also not going to find a used explorer motor with a warranty, but then again warranties are only as good as the company or person offering them. That's a pretty surprising warranty and I wonder if he'll actually honor it or give you smoke and mirrors when it dies at 80k miles.

He's right about not needing to modify the computer with your mods though, as long as the 76 is calibrated to your injectors. BTW, a lot of people have used C&L meters for a long time without issue. At one point, they were all the rage because there were claims and some limited documentation showing that they made more power than the Pro-flow/M Bullet. I don't know from first hand experience about them, but my bullet always did fine. If you don't have drivability problems with it, then keep and use it.

I have never heard of any significant issues with Trick-Flow intakes, and my Trick-Flow R has not been an issue at all. It is the first one that I've used, and only for a short time, though.

Lastly, the parts he's using are not top-quality, and the line he's feeding you about the E7s outflowing GT40s is almost certainly BS at the price he's charging. Anyway, good luck with your decision.

Chris