Hit 148-149 mph in stock '02 GT auto conv!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of months ago on a cool sunday morning I decided to take a little drive in my GT. When I got onto Veterans Pwky. there was no car in sight so I decided to see how fast she could go. I had hit 143 before on I-95 but she acted like she couldn't go any faster so I shut it down. That sunday though as I reached 143 the tach kept climbing!! I seen the speedo hit somewhere around 148-149 before I had to slow down coming up on a curve in the road. Talk about an adrenaline rush!!

I mean my '02 GT is bone stock to the filter. To top it off it's an auto and convertible. Before yall call B.S. I'm at sea level here in Savannah and it was a very cool morning. I think I could've reached 150+ if I had a little more straight road. So to all yall 99-04 auto GT owners our cars are capable of 150+ stock at least at sea level.

P.S. There were no other cars on the road. I was only endangering myself.

• Sponsors (?)

:nice: Atleast you had the sence to do it when noone was around. Thats when I hit 148MPH myself...5 AM noone in front of me.
Sure its dangerous, but as long as you dont make a habbit of it, then I dont see much of a problem with it.

And man im surpirsed your car did that....mine was moving slowly past about 145 and that was with 248RWHP @ 600" elevation. Up to that point it was moving fast...mainly because I was going downward until around 145 HAHA.

when u guys went all out did you use 5th gear? i was under the impression that 4th was the max speed and i had my 3.27's at the time and i hit about 148, which was at 6300 rpm..i hit my limiter, but it was pulling hard thanx to the cams and whatever else. im wondering how much more it has in it/ if any, in 5th gear.

I've gotten mine up there before. I was driving down I-40 at about 2am, when it was about 60* outside, with a buddy in the car. I got to 130mph and all it took was "dang.. see if you can hit 150" and I was talked into it... I went to 148-150, didn't see the exact spot, I was too focused on the road lol. That was before my headers and cams, when I had 3.73's and bolt-ons. It was a pretty intense feeling, but I haven't done it since and don't really care to :D

:nice: Atleast you had the sence to do it when noone was around. Thats when I hit 148MPH myself...5 AM noone in front of me.
Sure its dangerous, but as long as you dont make a habbit of it, then I dont see much of a problem with it.

And man im surpirsed your car did that....mine was moving slowly past about 145 and that was with 248RWHP @ 600" elevation. Up to that point it was moving fast...mainly because I was going downward until around 145 HAHA.

Yeah I wouldn't have done it if there were any cars around. I personally don't care what anybody thinks. If I wanted to drive myself off a cliff who's to stop me??

Man talk about a rush!! Especially when she hit 145 and kept climbing:jaw:

I've been in that situation before.

I was coming back from a trip to Maine on a Sunday afternoon and there was nobody on the road. I came over the crest of a hill on a 3-lane highway and you could see at least 2 miles ahead of you as it was a wide-open downhill stretch of road. When i say nobody was on the road, i mean NOBODY was there.

SO i said it was now or never and dropped the hammer and didn't let off til around 140ish. I used 4th gear though with stock 3.27's. It's amazing how stable the Mustang is at speed.

Last time i ever went that fast only because of the opportunity. I haven't been over 100MPH in about 2 years since

Little side note on the stock suspension and speed....
When I first got my turbo system dialed in we did a top gear run, Just left the car in 5th and floored it to see how the boost would come on over time. We started at 50mph and the car kept pulling harder and harder, so naturally I kept my foot down. Speedo was pegged and still going faster. GPS said or top speed was 188, and I started backing down because the top was starting to lift (there was a gap between the top of the windows and the convertable top) As I was slowing down, I crossed into the inside lane for an upcoming turn. That small side force caused the rear of the car to start swaying back and forth, sorta like a fish tail, but much MUCH slower, like right for 3 sec, the left for 3 sec. I coudln't figure out what was going on or how to correct it. I ended up just riding it out because I was afraid to apply the brakes if the car wasn't pointing dead nuts straight.
After getting home, I saw that there were wear marks on the exhaust from the inside of the rear tires. At rest there is 1.5" of clearance. That means the axle was going side to side at least 1.5"!!!! I still can't explain why the action was so slow, but I'm sure aerodynamics start getting complicated above 175mph.

A week later we did another run to 160. This time with a Panhard bar installed. What a differance!

So if your going to do a high speed run, make sure you dont change direction even the slightest bit...

Status
Not open for further replies.