homemade turbo system with a garrett turbo

dastang2

Dec 11, 2003
tx
ok i am going to do a homemade turbo system on my motor. at my diesel class there is a smaller garrett turbo and a bunch of other huge turbos. what would be the best choice.

• Sponsors (?)

well i will write down the manufactures and #'s on them soon but the huge ones i am talking about come off of semi trucks. maybe 7 or 8 inches high. the smaller one is probably only 5

pick up the new issue of 5.0 mustangs theres a red stang in there that has a homemade twin turbo. i think they are the one off of the 2.3 liter 4 cyl. garett t-03 or something like that. hes pushing over 20 lbs of boost if i remember correctly

If you wanna go with a twin turbo set up I'd use 2 t28 turbo's orfor a little more boost 2 20g turbos...I know a guy that runs a t72 turbo on his svo race car(still completely street legal) and pull 9's all day long i'd love to see what one of thoese could do on a v8

I was told that it's harder to run twin because you have to sync the turbos to make sure they are both making the same boost. How true is this and is there something out there that can help with the problem?

Legendary said:
So both turbos making the same amount of boost isn't a concern at all?

Not really... the rod on each turbo has its own wastegate...

Basically T them off to a boost controller of some sort and you wont have a problem... aka $20 boost controller off EBAY.

Im running twins and it is a blast to drive, I get immediate response due to my fairly small turbochargers(.42/.48) T3's.

But all in all, if you dont know the size or specifics of a turbocharger, do not attempt unless you ask someone that knows that turbo. A T66 would be great for a 5.0 for single, twin T3's would be great for twinturbo, such as a IHI T-Bird turbocharger... or a MERKUR/SVO.(.60/.63)

G-luck.

Pete :nice: