Honda F4i Issue.

I'm not very knowledgeable at ALL about this.. so bare with me!

I purchased this 2001 f4i from a buddy.. when I purchased it, it ran flawlessly. Well I've had it for a year or so now, and I didnt ride it very often. I cranked it and rode it maybe once a month.

Well the last time I went out to crank it, it was dead.. so we jump started it and it was bucking nasty and hesitating. I drove it a little in first gear seeing if it would work itself out and it never did. Well I got back to the house and I let it run for about 20 minutes to see if it would charge. I turned it off and tried to crank it and all it did was TICKTICKTICKTICKTICK, and never start. So I figured it was still not charged enough. I got a push start again, rode it and it was still bucking and hesitating. (very intimidating ride, I must say) so I got back and let it idle again.. same thing.

What could be the problem? Bad gas, or bad spark plugs? I'm not familiar enough with a bike to even know!

• Sponsors (?)

How old is the battery? If it's not a sealed unit, make sure it's got an ample supply of distilled water.

Often times, parasitic losses can drain batteries on bikes that sit or do not get started frequently. Same as some automobiles. However, in this case, there could be something else in play causing these issues.

Is the bike fuel-injected? I'll assume so (my 2005 c50 is a cruiser that just recently inherited its fuel injection & management system from the GSXR), as you're having both electrical and what seems like what might be fuel management issues. That said, the two might be unrelated--you might have a bad/old battery and you might have a tank of poor-quality fuel.

Do you use Sta-Bil or some other treatment in the gas tank when you let the bike sit for extended periods? If not, another thing you can try is to give the battery a good charge, fuel the bike with fresh gasoline, and see what comes of it.

Good luck. :)