• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-

Fox Hood flew up while driving.

  • Thread starter Thread starter 93CalypsoConvert
  • Start date Start date Nov 15, 2021
  • Tags Tags
    body work hood

93CalypsoConvert

Active Member
Nov 26, 2020
275
91
38
Virginia
Nov 15, 2021
#1
  • Nov 15, 2021
  • #1
Driving the other day and my hood flew up. Screwed up the cowl area pretty bad... Hood is toast and my hinges are all beat up. I was quoted $1150 for full repair of just the metal... Don't really want to pay that much for such a small area of damage. Has anyone fix this themselves or have any ideas?

 

Hoytster

I don't dare do that to my Knob
20+ Year Stangneter
Dec 30, 2002
1,069
700
164
Cornwall, PA
Nov 15, 2021
#2
  • Nov 15, 2021
  • #2
Ouch, that sucks. You're def. not the first person to have that happen to them though. Do a search on this site, there are a couple posts that I can remember guys having the same thing happen and going through the repair process. I know some have had some luck with the football method.
 
Reactions: 93CalypsoConvert

Olivethefet

I will own your nuts! LOL
5 Year Member
May 17, 2018
2,596
1,790
143
Enterprise AL
Nov 15, 2021
#3
  • Nov 15, 2021
  • #3
Any idea why it opened while driving? I got lucky once and noticed the hood "moving" more than normal. I pulled over and discovered that the primary latch had not engaged and the only thing holding it was the secondary one. Now every time I close the hood I make sure to pull on it a few good times to make sure it is latched.
 
Reactions: Blueinfan

93CalypsoConvert

Active Member
Nov 26, 2020
275
91
38
Virginia
Nov 15, 2021
#4
  • Nov 15, 2021
  • #4
Olivethefet said:
Any idea why it opened while driving? I got lucky once and noticed the hood "moving" more than normal. I pulled over and discovered that the primary latch had not engaged and the only thing holding it was the secondary one. Now every time I close the hood I make sure to pull on it a few good times to make sure it is latched.
Click to expand...
Primary latch must've not been latched all the way. The hood doesn't have a secondary latch.
 

90sickfox

Wasn't a pretty sight...and I've got big hands
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
6,946
5,818
213
Nov 15, 2021
#5
  • Nov 15, 2021
  • #5
They aren't terrible to fix. You need to remove the hood hinges and the wiper motor and linkage. Whatever you do do not use a dent puller.

The hardest part to fix is the drivers side. There's a brace that runs below the top piece of metal. The trick is to gently message it back into shape. People use foot balls ( deflated and air up inside cowl ). A hydraulic dent repair kit from harbor freight will get under there too. You don't want to push up on it with anything with a sharp edge or it'll put point marks in it. You can use plywood to brace above a pry bar to leverage on. Multiple side share blocks of wood help. When flexing up tap around it with a flat end metal hammer or lightly whack with a small rubber mallet.

I've fixed a couple. ( I'm not a body man ). I try to straighten the metal around the holes first. It's got a small 90 in it and reinforces the panel. Then I work the dent from the furthest point away towards the center once the edge is straight the dent almost just pops right out.
 
Reactions: JD1964, Gs1987GT, 93CalypsoConvert and 2 others

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,048
10,672
213
polk county florida
Nov 15, 2021
#6
  • Nov 15, 2021
  • #6
That's got some gnarly creases, mine did not do that much damage so I was able to use a small hydraulic scissors thingy and a block of wood, got it good enough for my junk, that brace on the drivers side is a btch.
If it were me I would have to have it replaced but that involves pulling the wind screen, dash and dropping the the wiring and fenders, if you do most of the grunt work a good shop will charge less to do it right. That ride deserves to be done right.
I wonder if @Davedacarpainter is awake?
 
Reactions: 93CalypsoConvert

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
11,606
8,859
214
In the garage
Nov 15, 2021
#7
  • Nov 15, 2021
  • #7
been there done that 5 years ago when I forgot to put my hood pins in. You can trip the football method and a small hand jack to bend it back up. I ended up cutting out and replacing the entire cowl section as it turned out there was rust all throughout the cowl and windshield.





 

Attachments

  • 1637023975722.webp
    343.6 KB · Views: 275
Reactions: DudeStang, General karthief, Shakerhood and 1 other person

Habu135

5 Year Member
Jan 10, 2019
1,241
784
133
California
Nov 15, 2021
#8
  • Nov 15, 2021
  • #8
General karthief said:
That's got some gnarly creases, mine did not do that much damage so I was able to use a small hydraulic scissors thingy and a block of wood, got it good enough for my junk, that brace on the drivers side is a btch.
If it were me I would have to have it replaced but that involves pulling the wind screen, dash and dropping the the wiring and fenders, if you do most of the grunt work a good shop will charge less to do it right. That ride deserves to be done right.
I wonder if @Davedacarpainter is awake?
Click to expand...
"Junk"? But you're the General.
 
Reactions: General karthief

91TwighlightGT

20+ Year Stangneter
Sep 8, 2002
1,190
375
124
Missouri
Nov 15, 2021
#9
  • Nov 15, 2021
  • #9
That sucks.

I guess having been around so long and having seen so many of these threads over the years, I just wouldn't run without the secondary safety catch. I'm paranoid enough with it installed
 
Reactions: Gs1987GT

Habu135

5 Year Member
Jan 10, 2019
1,241
784
133
California
Nov 15, 2021
#10
  • Nov 15, 2021
  • #10
91TwighlightGT said:
That sucks.

I guess having been around so long and having seen so many of these threads over the years, I just wouldn't run without the secondary safety catch. I'm paranoid enough with it installed
Click to expand...
I habitually pull up on my hood after I close it. Yeesh
 
Reactions: Shakerhood

nickyb

I gotta say i never painted my nuts, Never Ever
15 Year Member
Apr 3, 2009
3,021
1,653
163
nevada
Nov 15, 2021
#11
  • Nov 15, 2021
  • #11
If you do remove the cowl I be live some company out there sells a fiberglass replacement, not what you had in mind but may s faster/easier?
 

ChaseRoads

do I need to lube this area?
Oct 29, 2020
220
73
38
midwestern america
Nov 16, 2021
#12
  • Nov 16, 2021
  • #12
deflate football, insert football, inflate football.
 

93CalypsoConvert

Active Member
Nov 26, 2020
275
91
38
Virginia
Nov 16, 2021
#13
  • Nov 16, 2021
  • #13
Football worked pretty well. I got the driver side piece pretty flat. I got the center piece bent back good enough for the cowl vent and wipers to fit/work. Passenger side is going to need more work. I can get the dent to pop out, but it pops right back in. I will have to work with it more.

I'm busy for the next week or so. I'll update when I work on it again.
 
Last edited: Nov 17, 2021

ChaseRoads

do I need to lube this area?
Oct 29, 2020
220
73
38
midwestern america
Nov 16, 2021
#14
  • Nov 16, 2021
  • #14
93CalypsoConvert said:
Football worked pretty well. I got the driver side piece pretty flat. I got the center piece bent back good enough for the cowl vent and wipers to fit/work. Passeneger side is going to need more work. I can get the dent to pop out, but it pops right back in. I will have to work with it more.
Click to expand...
gonna need pictures
 
M

Monkeybutt2000

Mustang Master
Aug 11, 2019
1,387
851
133
Lafayette,IN
Nov 17, 2021
#15
  • Nov 17, 2021
  • #15
93CalypsoConvert said:
Football worked pretty well. I got the driver side piece pretty flat. I got the center piece bent back good enough for the cowl vent and wipers to fit/work. Passenger side is going to need more work. I can get the dent to pop out, but it pops right back in. I will have to work with it more.

I'm busy for the next week or so. I'll update when I work on it again.
Click to expand...
If it's tin canning you might be out of luck.
 

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,048
10,672
213
polk county florida
Nov 17, 2021
#16
  • Nov 17, 2021
  • #16
Pump up the football again a little past where it needs to be then tap around the edge of the dent with a flat face body hammer. It may need to be shrunk with a hammer/dolly routine.
 
Reactions: 90sickfox

90sickfox

Wasn't a pretty sight...and I've got big hands
SN Certified Technician
Mar 2, 2015
6,946
5,818
213
Nov 17, 2021
#17
  • Nov 17, 2021
  • #17
It's what they call oil canning. The Thief is right. Tap it with the hammer face flat and it won't leave pock marks.
 
Reactions: 7991LXnSHO

flynndawg

Member
Dec 2, 2009
34
19
18
east tn
Nov 20, 2021
#18
  • Nov 20, 2021
  • #18
that happened to me a few years ago before i knew the football trick, i straightened it back as best i could and smeared a thin coat of bondo, mine happened a week after i had painted it, (i hadnt secured the hood after paint)... hagerty paid me a check, i luckily had a hood from my old girl, i fixed it, and put a few bux in the bank, all is well...
 

Bree

Active Member
Jan 12, 2021
215
87
38
Zanesville Ohio
Nov 20, 2021
#19
  • Nov 20, 2021
  • #19
Yes, what he said! This is why we have safety latches!!!
91TwighlightGT said:
That sucks.

I guess having been around so long and having seen so many of these threads over the years, I just wouldn't run without the secondary safety catch. I'm paranoid enough with it installed
Click to expand...
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

A
Engine 302 oil leak when running
  • AlexM556
  • Sep 8, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
14
Views
418
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Saturday at 7:48 PM
AlexM556
A
Hard to start when engine is cold
  • 86_Capri
  • Mar 11, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
32
Views
1K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 21, 2026
CAMTWO1070
M
1991 GT cigarette lighter/port not working (horn is working)
  • MartinM
  • Aug 29, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
285
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 30, 2025
MartinM
M
M
Progress Thread mkk50's Progress Thread
  • mkk50
  • Aug 4, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
19
Views
922
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 22, 2025
Noobz347
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
343
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?