Hood pins...anyone got installed pics.....

• Sponsors (?)

GI Joe 97/02 said:
Especially looking for the FRPP/Steeda ones...
Are they welded in , bolted ect...
thanks

GI Joe

If you call Steeda about them, you will get mixed opinions depending on who you talk to. The guy I talked to acted as if I were completely insane when I asked if they had to be welded. The next day, I dropped the car off where it was then decided that the only way they were going to work was if they were welded. What they did was weld one nut to the radiator support where the rubber bumpers used to be. The pin and upper nut are still loose. That way they can be adjusted to your liking and then lock the upper nut against the one that is welded in place.

Here are a couple pics. One is a close-up of the pin that shows where it was welded. The guy that did it has a fondness for underbody spray and sprayed the relief that is stamped into the support around the hole and the nut.

attachment.php

attachment.php

You can use the holes where the hood stops are. Just pull the plastic pieces out that they screw into. You gotta make the holes a little bigger and I put a hole in the front to get the nuts and washers in through. The bumber stops can move straight back to where the grounds are. Just move the wire over to the other ground next to it. I didn't even have to drill or thread anything, the stops screwed directly into where the grounds were.

406598_11_full.jpg

406598_12_full.jpg

406598_14_full.jpg

I dont suppose either of you have a pipc of underside of hood?
Do you use the bronze metal piece too or just the chrome one?
Are your hoods fiberglass? The silver one looks to be...looks like the Steeda hood. I ask because the little short screws dont look adequate for a glass hood...especially if going thru both plates...
Thanks

GI Joe 97/02 said:
I dont suppose either of you have a pipc of underside of hood?
Do you use the bronze metal piece too or just the chrome one?
Are your hoods fiberglass? The silver one looks to be...looks like the Steeda hood. I ask because the little short screws dont look adequate for a glass hood...especially if going thru both plates...
Thanks

I did have some but tossed'em.
You do not use the copper plates on the bottom. Just the chrome one on top. The little screws work fine for the chrome ring. Just remember that when you put the pin through, you can't pass over a screw, won't work. So plan around that speed bump. Also make sure you pre-drill the holes so you don't chip or crack the paint. When you put the screws in, turn til slightly snug, than back off a half turn than tighten some more, than back off and repeat til screw is all the way in. This will ensure no cracks. The install only took about 2 hours and 30 min. if I remember correctly.

Thanks...You got pics of that carbon hood.....I'd love to see it.
btw...did you cut the whole bottom and top the same size and are they the same size as the opening in the chrome piece or slightly larger/smaller.

GI Joe

The FRPP pins are definitely not long enough for the Steeda 1995 Cobra R hood, which is what I have.

I did not want to weld the nut, so I drilled a second hole into the pin, higher up on the pin, using a Roto Zip and several special drill bits.

I don't have pictures yet, but it looks good.

Later, I found some chrome-plated hood pins, made by a different manufacturer (I forgot which), which are significantly longer. However, I'll probably stick with the stainless steel FRPP pins.