Hood scoops?

It is my understanding that Shelby put a small scoop on his cars. I only assume that such a scoop could be had as a dealer option. Were any of those scoops functional? I always thought of them as cosmetic "stick-ons".

I am currently installing the forth complete drive train in my 65 convertible. As everything sits right now, the bonnet I intend to use is about an inch higher than the hood. A "Shelby" scoop would probably fix the issue. But will most see it as a cosmetic thing? I am thinking that all scoops are considered suspect, but only a large cowl scoop is less so.

I could try to make a bonnet that stays under the hood; a lot of work.

Ideas?

TY
Ray

P.S.
I am now aware of at least three first gen Mustangs that have scoops with intake plumbing sticking thru holes in the top of the scoop. At least one was pictured in one of the serious car mags.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Shelby did have hood scoops on all his cars and they are functional scoops are made to the hood . 65 /66
downloadfile-2.jpg
67 shelby hood .
downloadfile.jpg
downloadfile-1.jpg

We each have a 73 Mach 1, and there is a 71 in the back yard. The scoops on those are not functional. On the Mach 1s where they were functional, outside air was piped directly to the intake. Did the Shelby scoops do anything other than poke a hole in the hood?

My core question is; what do I do with the extra inch of engine I now have in my 65 convertible without looking phony.

I currently have three scoops, of the sort I have seen on first gen Mustangs. Two are small. One is a couple feet long and I thought it was a rear facing cowl scoop, but have since seen it front facing on a first gen. In my case a front facing scoop would serve no purpose. Functionally I just need a blister/bubble. What are the culture implications of a rear facing cowl scoop?

At the bottom of this album is a pic of the engine. The carb cover is what I intend to use for a bonnet.

https://goo.gl/photos/PPcZpByXAgfp8kTk6

TY
Ray