Drivetrain Horrible noise

I tried looking around for a similar issue, but nothing I’ve seen comes close to the horrible sound this thing started making. I was going maybe 2 mph down a pretty bad gravel road, and on a fairly smooth part the car just randomly started making this noise. There didn’t seem to be anything going on with the car leading up to this. There’s nothing wrong that I can see without getting underneath the car, I would do some more problem solving but it just started thunder storming pretty bad. It doesn’t matter what gear I’m in, clutch in/out, or even if the car is off and just rolling, no change. It sounds like it’s coming from the center of the car, I can feel it through the parking brake. Not 100% sure though. I limped it a short distance home, no change. Just looking to get a little insight before I get the chance to really get into it, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

View: https://youtu.be/9UvCx4kJgmk

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, I was able to get under the car and I'm now at a loss. Nothing appears out of the ordinary, u joints seem fine. I lifted the car by the rear end and ran through the gears, there was no sound whatsoever. The sound is definitely behind the shifter, and it doesn't sound like it's coming from the rear end. There's no play in the yoke when the car is rolling. Took the shift boot off to feel the trans while rolling, I can't feel any clunking. The driveshaft doesn't appear to have any marks from rubbing anything. The biggest thing that's stumping me right now is that it makes the sound while rolling on the ground and doesn't make any noise when powering the wheels with the rear end up in the air. Does anyone have any ideas?

Well, I think it's transmission, but it still runs through gears and puts power down just fine in all gears. It did mark up the end of the yoke, any help before I rip the transmission apart?
IMG_0419.jpg
IMG_0418.jpg

Is it a Model T?
Otherwise, is the exhaust or driveshaft making contact with something? If a motor or transmission mount is worn, it would allow more movement on take off.

I initially thought it was a contact issue, but every part of the driveline looks untouched (dirt, rust, etc.). I just don't understand why the sound goes away when it's jacked up on the rear end and ran through all gears. That would make me believe it's related to the car rolling across the ground, but it also doesn't make noise if I roll it across the ground with the driveshaft out of the car.

That it does not make the noise while in the air makes suspect the mounts. The engine Driveline and tires cannot apply torque to the air.it might not be the problem, but is near the top of the list of suspects.

Although, it does sound a bit like a playing card in the spokes.

Last edited: