horse power gain with intake

jaackal

May 12, 2003
NJ
hey, im in the process of installing a cobra upper and lower intake on my 88 LX speed density. Im also putting on a MAC 70mm t-body. Approx. how much hp and torque will i gain. I also have a cold air intake.

• Sponsors (?)

Didnt see your mods,but if your motor is mostly stock,I would go for a 65mm TB. The intake should be good for 15HP.Depends on what kind of CAI,anywhere from 5--12HP,again depending on which one.

When I swapped to the gt-40, felt a good amt of gain, no before #'s, but dyno'd 245rwhp and 292rwtq, don't think I would have dyno'd that w/out the intake. At the time had the gt-40, equals,off road x, catback, cai, maf.

You wont lose horsepower at all, you just wont feel the true gains until you get better heads and a cam. I have a similar setup up as you, actually the exact same, a Cobra Intake,Mac 70mm,BBK CAI, and the exhaust is the same. I put the 70mm TB on because i plan on big mods in the future, but 65mm would be better for you if you dont plan on modifying your engine. I felt a noticebale difference when botling up the Cobra Intake, especially up high in the RPM's. With the TB and the Intake id say a good 20HP, you should feel it. You may actually seem slower off the line but should definetly feel the difference up high

With exhaust, Cobra intake, 65mm TB, stock MAF, stock suspension, 3.73s, and tires on an otherwise stock car I ran 13.05 @ 103. No dyno numbers to see any gains, but the car made great power and torque in the whole RPM range. I also noticed I was able to shift higher and the car was still pulling!