Hot idle problems... (searched)

jamnut87

Mar 28, 2004
I've searched and ive gone over the surging idle checklist, and i cant figure it out

When i start the car cold its fine, idles like a champ doesnt die

When the car is warm it will still idle fine at stop lights such, but if the car is turned off, and then turned back on while warm, the idle surges and eventually dies most of the time, UNLESS you mess with the throttle and usually after a minute it will clear itself up and be fine

Now heres the other part... If i reset the computer, it will hot start fine, until you drive it, and then try to hot start it will stall.... So it sounds like once the computer learns its stuff it wont hot start anymore

I have TF tw heads, track heat intake, tf stage 1 cam, 30lb injectors, C&l mass air

The two possibilities that ive thought of so far is either a) bad Idle air controller (ive cleaned it good), or b) im gonna need a tune....

The cars driveable once you drive for like a minute though

Any help is great, as im kinda stumped...

David

• Sponsors (?)

my car is doing the same thing.. friday night at the track.. If i shut off the car and then turned it on it would die, but if i held the rpms up for a couple of minutes it would idle again and it would be fine untill i shut off the car. it only does it when it is warm?? I have stock heads cam and intake..

well heres the problem

me and my dad have both been looking into getting a tweecer R/t

problem is, even though hes more experienced with cars..., neither of us have ever tuned before

would it be hard just to get those fuel tables set right?

there is a reputable tuner around here... and word is it would probably cost 400-500 dollors. Id rather get a tweecer and learn though.. and have ME be in control of things (incase i changed things in the long run, and needed another tune)

either way... i need to get something done one day (its liveable for now..)

Any suggestions? ( i know most are gonna say tweecer )

jamnut87 said:
and have ME be in control of things

say no more :nono:

That is the MAIN reason I wanted to self tune :nice:

Hey ... its my car ...........

I do all the work on it ...........

Who else is gonna tune it :D

Good Luck which ever way you and your dad decide to go :)

Grady

jamnut87 said:
problem is, even though hes more experienced with cars..., neither of us have ever tuned before

would it be hard just to get those fuel tables set right?

If you go the TWeecer route, Grady's site will be a ton of help (you sell advertising on that site yet?). Since he has 30's and a similar combo, you could cross-reference his tables to yours.

zenboy99 said:
If you go the TWeecer route, Grady's site will be a ton of help

Thank You Sir for the kind word :)

(you sell advertising on that site yet?).

No comment :Zip2: ...... at least ...... for now ;)

however ...... :D

Since he has 30's and a similar combo, you could cross-reference his tables to yours.

Very True ... Some of that stuff might seem a bit strange as it looks like it did not come from the GT OR Cobra.

Some GT values are more better and some Cobra are :)

After I figured out what all was going on and how the two differed ...

Some stuff ended up as kinda sorta being a cross between the two.

HEY! ... Ain't that what custom tuning is all about :banana:

Oh Yeah ... A tiny caution here ............

I don't remember which file I put up but at one time ... I was running a pretty aggressive spark curve which most likely would not be liked by iron heads.

Grady