Progress Thread Hot Rod Lincoln > 1999 Mustang GT

4.6 Lincoln town car engine completely redone all needed parts changed new radiator, water pump, starter mustang intakes, wiring harness fuse box replaced. Have taken fly wheel from F 150, cause it bolts up correctiy and teeth match up. Clutch seems a little tight. GT has 5 speed manual transmission. Motor turns by hand but bolted up won't turn over. A 35 year veteran mechanic is doing this and we are scratching our heads. Any advice?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure but I think I read where some 4.6 engines did not have the correct depth for the pilot bearing and causes everything to lock up.you may need to use google to check.
I'm not sure but I think I read where some 4.6 engines did not have the correct depth for the pilot bearing and causes everything to lock up.you may need to use google to check.

Ok thank you. The flly wheel out of the F 150 is about 1/64 " thicker, maybe thinner than that. Wondering if it could be turned at a shop, would that help? The racing fly wheel from the GT didn't have matching bolt holes for the Lincoln 4.6 liter

Ok As I said the Ford F150 fly wheel matches to the bolts and the teeth. It is a fraction thicker than the racing fly wheel on the Mustang GT 4.6, but really only a hairs difference, which may be just enough too much. When my mechanic gets in, I will ask and let you know. Thanks for all your help. The mustang fly wheel didn't match the bolt up on the Lincoln motor. I'll get back to you.

What model year did the donor Lincoln motor come from?

Will the drive shaft turn if the transmission is put into neutral?

Will the drive shaft turn if the clutch is depressed?

What have you done to rule out something like a problem in the transmission such as two gears engaged at the same time?

The reason that I ask is I thought that all modular flywheels would interchange as long as the number of bolt holes are the same. This has me wondering if there's something else causing your problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
2000 Lincoln town car. 1999 Mustang GT.
The Ford Panther line (Town Car, Grand Marquis, and Crown Vic) did not get a PI motor until 2001+. Therefore if the donor has come from a 2000 model year then it's a non-PI motor. This means that a non-PI motor has been mated to a PCM that is expecting to control a PI motor. While I'm not 100% certain, IMO if asked to tank an educated guess, the motor will run but not make great power. The fuel curves will be wrong.

The PI verses non-PI is not the reason why the motor will not bar over.

Which fuel injectors were used? This could also be an issue because the Lincoln uses very different sized fuel injectors (the Mustang GT has larger injectors).

If this were my project I would be very concerned about the quality of the pre project advice that you got. IMO you will not be happy with the result after force fitting a non-PI motor into a car designed for a PI.

Note, the 2000 Mustang GT that I regularly drive (and have for 7 years now) has a motor from a 2003 Grand Marquis. So I can say from first hand experience that it is possible and it does work to use a long block from a PI Panther in a 1999+ Mustang GT.

Note2, it not possible to swap a Lincoln PCM into a Mustang without re-wiring the entire car. The electrical is vastly different between the two cars. This motor swap only works if the new motor looks the same electrically as the original. That's why is necessary to swap the motor's wiring harness to maintain the original.

Last edited:
The Ford Panther line (Town Car, Grand Marquis, and Crown Vic) did not get a PI motor until 2001+. Therefore if the donor has come from a 2000 model year then it's a non-PI motor. This means that a non-PI motor has been mated to a PCM that is expecting to control a PI motor. While I'm not 100% certain, IMO if asked to tank an educated guess, the motor will run but not make great power. The fuel curves will be wrong.

The PI verses non-PI is not the reason why the motor will not bar over.

Which fuel injectors were used? This could also be an issue because the Lincoln uses very different sized fuel injectors (the Mustang GT has larger injectors).

If this were my project I would be very concerned about the quality of the pre project advice that you got. IMO you will not be happy with the result after force fitting a non-PI motor into a car designed for a PI.

Note, the 2000 Mustang GT that I regularly drive (and have for 7 years now) has a motor from a 2003 Grand Marquis. So I can say from first hand experience that it is possible and it does work to use a long block from a PI Panther in a 1999+ Mustang GT.

Note2, it not possible to swap a Lincoln PCM into a Mustang without re-wiring the entire car. The electrical is vastly different between the two cars. This motor swap only works if the new motor looks the same electrically as the original. That's why is necessary to swap the motor's wiring harness to maintain the original.
The mechanic has been talking to the salvage company and believes it is a 2001. I remember him saying that he was only using the block and heads maybe, off of the Lincoln. He is sending a pic of the VIN # of the car so we can decode it and get some answers to your questions. I'll be back!