How Big Of A Pain Is It To Replace At Starter, Really?

BlakeusMaximus

Still got to try a little lube on my speedo head
5 Year Member
Jul 12, 2017
I've owned 4 foxbody's and believe it or not, I've never had to replace a starter on any of them. I've heard from buddies that the top bolt can be a pain in the ass. I've read up on the SVE mini starters that LMR sells and have found that many people like them. So I wanted to see if there were any tricks of the trade and see what you guys thought about the SVE mini starters. Thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

It's not hard really, it's three bolts to the bell housing to secure it. Just take your time and like mentioned above use assortment of extensions and universals and you'll knock it down in no time.

Two bolts on a foxbody. And they like to seize, since it's an iron bolt in an aluminum housing. Try to get some penetrating oil in the holes in the housing and let it soak overnight. And use a 6-point socket. Also, disconnect the battery first.

The mini's come out easily. Getting my msd starter in was a little bit of a pain though but a factory mini is easy. Ratchet wrench for the top bolt from under the hood.

If you have LT headers it is a PITA
If you have shorties not that big a deal
spray down the bolts with PB blaster
the top bolt needs a long extension and some swivels- you can get it by going through the K member with a long extension
No need to buy an LMR mni starter- any 93 mustang mini starter will work and all you need is some 10 gauge wire for the trigger from the mini starter to the solenoid.

Starter solenoid wiring 92-93 Mustang or earlier Mustang with upgraded high torque mini starter.
attachment.php?attachmentid=53216&stc=1&d=1201020653.gif