How critical are shocks and struts

streethorse

15 Year Member
Oct 8, 2005
Dallas Texas
Finaly I am going to lower my GT, cant stand it no more.
I know the subject has been talked about over 1 million times but I just want
some fresh info. Looks like the Eibach pro kit is what I want as I hope to see
a 1.5" drop. My ? would be which shocks and struts match up to the pro kit
and why, has anyone tried more than 1 combo and felt a difference.
Oh yeah, adjustable or non adjustable?

• Sponsors (?)

If you don't need them already, you will after you are lowered for a while. It makes sense to replace the shocks and struts while you have everything torn down for the springs. Adjustable or nonadjustable depends on your needs. Do you go to the track often (road course or drags)?

If you don't need them already, you will after you are lowered for a while. It makes sense to replace the shocks and struts while you have everything torn down for the springs. Adjustable or nonadjustable depends on your needs. Do you go to the track often (road course or drags)?

My factory S/S's are in good condition, only 18k on them. Daily driver, street
use only. From what Ive heard the stockers will get eaten up fast with shorter
springs, so yeah I want to do it at the same time.

Yeah, deffinetly do them at the same time. We did them on my friend's 03 GT last weekend, and his shocks were completely blown after about 10k miles. We could compress the shocks in our hands with relative ease. Anyways, your choice of shocks is completely up to you. Price range was my deciding factor, and helped me to choose the Tokico HP's. I chose non-adjustable, since I won't need to be changing the stiffness of my ride. The Bilsteins are by far the best non-adjustable shock, but are also quite expensive. If I were you, I would just decide whether you want adjustable, or non-adjustable, and go from there. Ebay will be a good place to look for your shocks.

My stock shocks/struts were completely dead after 12k miles (especially the struts) with just daily driving on stock springs. I would reccomend some bilstein HD's, or save up and get a maximum motorsports coilover kit and the bilsteins.

+45 on replacing the shocks/struts when you do the springs, the work is pretty much already going to be done....and you'll love the ride and handling when you're finished.

Tokico's are a good option. If you go Bilsteins, I'd go HR springs, they seem to be the best matched combo....although it might not give you the full drop you're looking for.

You planning on getting caster/camber plates and an alignment?

+45 on replacing the shocks/struts when you do the springs, the work is pretty much already going to be done....and you'll love the ride and handling when you're finished.

Tokico's are a good option. If you go Bilsteins, I'd go HR springs, they seem to be the best matched combo....although it might not give you the full drop you're looking for.

You planning on getting caster/camber plates and an alignment?
Actually I was leaning toward not getting the CC plates. I get conflicting
opinions on the issue, 50% say definatley get CC plates with the pro kit and
50% say they are not needed with a mild drop. But I will get the allignment
for sure. I have even asked 2 different mechanics at the same shop and got
2 different answers.

Is 1.5" considered a mild drop? Huh, would have thought that was a pretty good drop on these cars. Guess it would be worth a shot not having them.....you could always put them on if the car doesn't align, just would be extra work.

I ran Ford 'C' springs for about 2 years (about 10k miles put on) with factory struts and thought it was "fine" until I swapped the Tokico HP's in. Can you get by without changing them?YES. Will you notice a HUGE difference when swapping them out to anything aftermarket?YES!! My car actually has a nicer ride(smoother and more controlled). The factory struts are designed to control a lower spring rate and will allow the car to bounce more. Sort of like the ricers when you see their car slammed to ground,but bouncing like a baby carriage over every bump. So the decision is yours in the end.

I had issues with my alignment after installing Steeda Sports on my car. Ate up a set of tires. I bought the Maximum Motorsports CC plates and it's all good now. I'd get them if I were you. I found some second hand (unused) for about a $50 savings.

Finaly I am going to lower my GT, cant stand it no more.
I know the subject has been talked about over 1 million times but I just want
some fresh info.
No fresh info, only difference now is tokico makes D-specs that are highly adjustable.

Looks like the Eibach pro kit is what I want as I hope to see
a 1.5" drop. My ? would be which shocks and struts match up to the pro kit
and why, has anyone tried more than 1 combo and felt a difference.
Oh yeah, adjustable or non adjustable?
almost every aftermarket damper is good with the prokit, even the monroe's kyb's bil hd's, tokico blue's, just don't throw on some very expencive koni DA's, not worth the hassle

02FastblackGT,

Do your wheels rub?

I lowered my car with the Eibach-pro kit. I'm currently trying to decide on wheel selection. My rear axle is off 1/2 inch more towards the passenger side.

I was going to get two tires and rims 275 40 17, 17x9 for the front to see if they rub. Then decide on the remaining two wheels.

BTW I'm planning to get shocks and struts too.

You should get yourself a set of shocks and struts because
the stock shocks and struts will eventually wear out and
you will have to replace them mite as well save yourself
money and time.What springs are you going with?
The Eibach Pro Kit or H&R Sport springs will give you that
1.5" drop you are looking for.Bilstein shocks and struts
is what I recommend they are the best on lowered cars
in my opnion.

No, I have no rubbing issues with my fronts or rears. My friend had a slight rub on his front wheel when making a U-turn & had the wheel completely to the left, but I have had no problems at all.

Also, I don't think CC plates will be necessary. I installed my Pro-kit & Tokico's, went and got the car aligned, drove the car on my stock wheels for nearly a year & had no tire wear problems at all!! I think the CC plates are really only "needed" when it's a 2.0"+ drop.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKI...0QQihZ006QQcategoryZ33590QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I recommend these. Had them on my car and put them on my ex-gf's eclipse. Lowered the car nice and both cars handled great. I was amazed at the handling change with just these springs and shocks.

I actually have the rear setup for sale since I switched to an IRS...

Here is the drop the night after I put the kit on. I took out one isolator from each corner, and they settled a bit after this.
heightcomparison.jpg

Wasn't low enough for me so I cut half a coil off the front springs and it looks great.
nicerake.jpg

with 18s
topupfrontquarter.jpg

Attachments

• heightcomparison.jpg
    heightcomparison.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 55
  • nicerake.jpg
    nicerake.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 66
  • topupfrontquarter.jpg
    topupfrontquarter.jpg