How do I soften the ride?

GusinCA

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2002
Newport Beach
I have a stock 00 GT vert.
17 inch tires, 245/45.

I don't want to lower the car, but I do want to get the "harshness" out of the ride (I live in LA, where the freewys will beat you up).

Should I go with some progressive springs, or less firm shocks?
I'd rather not go with 16 inch tires, that's been suggested to me already.

I do not race, occasional twisty roads.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

honestly i had 17 rims on my car with Kumhos and i just got 18" Saleens and amazingly my ride quality VASTLY improved with the tires i got... BFG KDW2's 295 in the rear and 255 in the front...

those tires were a pretty penny though

pics will be up soon.

The stock shocks and struts are good for about 10k miles, seriously :notnice: He has an 00. His shocks and struts are completely f'n shot.

You can replace both shocks and both struts with Gabriel Ultras from AutoZone for less than $100 if you install them yourself.

"Buy a Lincoln" - that's funny... :)

I have 35,000 miles. Original shocks, new tires (Eagle Gatorbacks).
What struts and shocks should I switch to?
Shouldn't I change the springs to a softer spring rate? I heard on another discussion there are softer springs for "drag launches" or something?

GusinCA said:
"Buy a Lincoln" - that's funny... :)

I have 35,000 miles. Original shocks, new tires (Eagle Gatorbacks).
What struts and shocks should I switch to?
Shouldn't I change the springs to a softer spring rate? I heard on another discussion there are softer springs for "drag launches" or something?

on my fox body i got some tokico 5-ways and the car handle nice in the freeway but i also got eibach pro-kit and they are set at 4 both in front and rear but that is some what stiff according to what the settings are, but it rides so smooth

well you need shocks and struts ovbiouly. you may want to consider ajustable if you are picky that way you can dial in the ride so to speek.

kyb's come to mind as they are affrodable ajustable.

would do springs as well. the stock springs are crap IMO. my car was a different ride hieght at ever corner. I don't think the OEM springs have very good quality control. I would pick something with almost no drop and a mild rate. you will want to keep all the travel you can for a plush ride. possibly one of the flavors of the FRPP springs.

I dont understand the title. You want to soften your ride? As in make it a more smoother car like a luxury car?

Only real way to do that is to go down to a 15 or 16 inch rim and get a bigger sideway tire since the stock suspension is made to drive stiff.

Thanks for all the good advice. I keep hearing about the tokico 5-ways. Where is a good place to buy these?

Also, what do you guys think about replacing the springs and sway bars and shocks with the ones from the V6?
Is that possible and will it make it softer?