How Do I Use Lightning Maf Meter?

walker95svt

May 21, 2005
Abilene, TX
Hey guys. I want to buy a lightning 90mm maf and 42# injector combo, because they're so cheap. I know people run them on our cars, but somebody's gotta know EXACTLY what it takes. How do I do it?

setup:
95 cobra, computer unmodified except for chip

• Sponsors (?)

For a '95 you need the MAF, a chip or tuner, a silicon adapter to adapt the 4" MAF to your powerpipe, a MAF adapter for the filter and a 4" cone style filter and finally a late model MAF harness.

We sell the chips, harnesses, MAF adapters - or use a TwEECer - Jegs or Summit has the Filters, Hose Techniques will have the hose adapters - and sometimes you can make a Home Depot rubber plumbing adapter work too.

Usually the car need to be on a dyno or at least have a wide band attached, because as good as these MAFs are, they can't compensate for different inlet tracts. And 'base' tunes are usually not good enough.
Don

but, me and oink still need to know if it's safe to drive our vehicles without the tune on. It'll still work, but not perfectly, right? My tuner's three hours away. I don't know about all the other stuff you suggested. I need it to work with my NOVI 2000 kit. The kit is more for stock cars, and doesn't have injectors or anything. It came with an FMU. My car has a boost ready 331, and I want the bigger injectors.

You may have to run some kind of FMU (I know they suck) on the stock MAF/inj. with the smallest boost wise pullie you can find and turn your timing way way down. Then install the MAF connector and inj. un-install the FMU when you get to the dyno...otherwise do all the installs and trailer it to the dyno. I would install everything and trailer it 3hrs is a long haul to take with an un-tuned combo without a trailer anyway...

It probably won't even run at all without a chip. If it does start and run (some do) bring along a new set of plugs to install at the dyno. If it seems to run semi-OK (very rare) then it's OK to drive it there, but stay out of it... See if your tuner will mail you a chip to get you there - I do that for people all the time. It still may not run so great, but it'll get you there.

That will get it wired backwards - because the later connector is "flipped" vs. the old connector. Starting from the far left hand side (assuming you clipped the two outer wires) with the lock part of the connector on top, looking down at it, with the wires going away from you and the connector facing you the wires should be:

| Red | Black | Blue-red stripe | dark blue-red stripe |

Solder the red to the red and then just do the rest in order - use shrink wrap too.

Don 95Vert said:
That will get it wired backwards - because the later connector is "flipped" vs. the old connector. Starting from the far left hand side (assuming you clipped the two outer wires) with the lock part of the connector on top, looking down at it, with the wires going away from you and the connector facing you the wires should be:

| Red | Black | Blue-red stripe | dark blue-red stripe |

Solder the red to the red and then just do the rest in order - use shrink wrap too.
:( :shrug: