How do Nitto 315's compare to normal 315's?

The Green GT

No 13 year olds are safe around me.
10 Year Member
Jan 8, 2006
Louisiana
I need to get some new tires soon, and i figure I can get about as many miles out of some nittos as I did from my Sumitomos. But i have always heard that they are actually about as wide as a 275 tire. Is this true? I mean i want some nittos, but I also want some tires that will look as wide as the current tires I have.

If anyone has them can they measure the width for me? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

They are just under 12-1/8 inches (or 12.125)". I have them on my 17x11s and they are basically flush with the lip of the rim. For me it's perfect because my car is very low and they sit tucked just inside the wheel weld. You may be able to see that in my sig. I have the 275s (about 10-1/2" wide) on 17x9.5" wheels and the 315s are definitely wider than the 275s. You can go to TireRack.com and compare the actual sizes of the particular tire you want.

I wouldnt get nittos as much as you commute with you car...get a spare set of rims and put some sticky tires on those instead.
I got nittos on mine cuz i might put only 200-400 miles on my car per month

Yea I was just thinkign about that. i think Ill just get some black steelies from summit and throw them on there.

rio95, did you do burnouts on yours or just hard street driving if you only got 5500 miles on a set? im having this exact same question. i dont do burnouts, and its 99% street driven but i need to get at least 10k miles out of them.

rio95, did you do burnouts on yours or just hard street driving if you only got 5500 miles on a set? im having this exact same question. i dont do burnouts, and its 99% street driven but i need to get at least 10k miles out of them.
i think hes talking about the drag radial version, the street version of the 555's should last for a lot longer then 5K miles

The 555's are a great all around street tire, i have them on the front of my car. For drag racing, they probably arent so good. If i was you, I'd just get a set of drag radials on another set of rims for the track.

One thing to think about though. It sounds as if he wants to put on some 315s in the rear and the 555 don't come standard in 315s only the DRs or else I'd gotten them babys. Non DR 315s (i.e. those high end high performance tires) will cost some serious cheddar, plus it will be mix matched. Now some folks don't mind mix matching tire brands but I don't like that look but that is an option too.

One thing to think about though. It sounds as if he wants to put on some 315s in the rear and the 555 don't come standard in 315s only the DRs or else I'd gotten them babys. Non DR 315s (i.e. those high end high performance tires) will cost some serious cheddar, plus it will be mix matched. Now some folks don't mind mix matching tire brands but I don't like that look but that is an option too.

Yea, that was another thing I noticed.

And i dont mind mixing tires, I already have 315s out back and 255's up front. So different tread pattern wont bother me.

i was talking about the drag version too. i know they advertise "up to 15000 miles", but how much should i expect realistically? id keep them at full pressure full time (maybe lower to 25 or so at the track, but i prob wont even need to with that big of a tire), like i said no burnouts, launching off idle.

i was talking about the drag version too. i know they advertise "up to 15000 miles", but how much should i expect realistically? id keep them at full pressure full time (maybe lower to 25 or so at the track, but i prob wont even need to with that big of a tire), like i said no burnouts, launching off idle.

It sounds like you would have no trouble getting over 10,000 from them. Although, why would you not do a burn out at the track? If you don't, they won't hook at all.

I was doing a good amount of burnouts and spun thru at least second gear everytime I drove it.

They lasted me about 4 months of the season. If only they went about a month more and they would have lasted me until the end.

well i put on a set of 245/16 555r's about a month back and i could hook in 1st with just 25psi (again, off idle). with the 315's i dont forsee any problem hooking without a burnout. i dont like to dump or slip the clutch too much, good 60 foots are as important to me as keeping the drivetrain in tact being a poor college student lol

On the street, i drive my Nittos with 28 lbs, and at the track i lower them to between 12 and 15 lbs. They hook much better that way, and the car doesnt get squirrely at the top of the track which is what generally happens when you go too low with tire pressure on slicks and somtimes drag radials.