How do you change the ignition switch?

crogers813

Mar 13, 2009
I've been going through and tracing my no spark problems. All of my components test good on another car, so I'm left with the thought it may be the ignition switch itself.

How do I get to it and replace it or test it?

Thanks Guys

• Sponsors (?)

Super easy. I'll try and outline this job without missing anything.

1. Disconnect negative battery cable.
2. Remove driver's seat (not necessary, but makes it SO much easier). It's held in by four 9/16 (I think!!) bolts, the rear two of which are covered by a little push pin type screw setup - easy to remove, don't worry.
3. Use the tilt wheel function, and pull the wheel ALL the way up. This allows for easy access to one of the ignition switch screws (torx bit, by the way. Not the safety one with the little pin in the middle) without removal of the steering column cover.
4. Put the key into the cylinder, move it to the 'run' position.
5. Unscrew the two torx that go into the ignition switch, pictures can be found online of this with no issues.
6. Disconnect the electrical connector that goes to the switch.
7. Put new switch in. I put the connector in first, then screw it into the column area.
8. Test out new switch, make sure the key rotates to every position properly.
9. Reverse of installation.

:nice:

The job should take around 10 minutes tops but for a first timer, allow about an hour.

No need to replace the cylinder if it's not broken...

Forgot one of the install steps. Be sure the actuator pin in the NEW ignition switch matches the position of the OLD one (the run position).

If your lock ears rotate 360, you can try to fix the index pins (a real pain because the collar for the ears is made of potmetal and is a press-fit) or replace the lock cylinder as you noted.

You can have a new lock rekeyed for your old key so you don't need two keys for the car.