How do you clean a MAF

I am about to install the Accufab plenum and 75mm tb as well as the Steeda CAI kit... so I figured that since I will have the whole thing apart, I might as well clean the MAF from any oil residue due to the installed K&N filter.

So my question to everyone is: What should I use to clean the MAF sensor? What should I look out for? :shrug:

Thanks in advance to all who reply. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldn't recommend cleaning your MAF Sensor. you probably will do more damage then good. Hot film or hot wire mafs, work by monitoring how much current it takes to keep the hot wire,or film at a constant temp, the more air cooling the wire, the more current it takes. Most dust a oil resdue will likely burn off. I would maybe suggest blowing it out with low air pressure.

don't touch the wires in the maf at all!!!!! you can take the element out of the maf housing and clean it any way you like, but when cleaning the element it's self use compressed air, the air canisters to clean keyboards works good. trying to clean elements can do more harm than good by damaging them.

you guys need to stop listening to fairy tales...:rolleyes:

dont worry about removing the actual wire-harness from the maf tube. to get to it, take a cordless drill with a small bit, stick it on top of the two torx tamper-proof screws and use the drill to snap that little peg out of there. then use a t-20 tamper-proof bit to remove it. then get some dielectric cleaner and a small paint brush. spray on the wires and use the brush to remove any oil.

dont worry about messing it up, it's an automotive part for christ sake, not a piece of glass. i've done this on more than 1 occasion and have had absolutely no problems. when i reoiled my K&N, it got oil on the wires and it was obvious there was oil on there when i pulled it out, because it was causing a bad idle. i cleaned it with this method and it worked great.

Cavallo said:
Do not use BRAKE cleaner !

Where do U get your bogus info from??

U electronic contact cleaner, spray and let dry.

No need to touch it at all.

From the mechanic
i tried just spraying it in there at first but it didnt work at all, the oil was dried on the element. after i got fed up, i removed it and brushed it, and it worked. depends how bad the element is coated tells you whether you need to pull it out and brush it or just spray in teh hole.

Thanks to all who replied... I was at Pep Boys and saw that CRC 'Lectro-Motive' so I bought a can and used it to clean the MAF....
figured since it was dielectric ( i.e. non-conductive ) and made for electrical parts, it would be ok...

I will let everyone know how it went afterwards. :nice:

MAF & TPS & P0122 & P1000

Ok... It's all in and I now get the infamous 'SES' light... my code reader shows P1000 and P0122.

P0122 is what concerns first... I know it is a TPS low voltage code...
Question is: How do I fix it? Move it around and keep trying... or replace TPS? what if it still does that? Also what are the implications of that?

P1000 is OBD is not ready? WTF?! Anyone know how to fix this?

Should I disconnect the battery and retry later?

Thanks again for all who reply.