How Do You Know If Your Spark Plug Hole Is Stripped?

Ecostang15

Jan 7, 2018
I couldn't get my sparkplugs loose on my 2.3 ecoboost mustang. I ended breaking porcelain off the sparkplug. is it possible i could have stripped the threading for the spark plug hole? I didn't get the sparkplug loose, so I just left it for the mechanic tomorrow, hopefully everything will be okay, and I didn't strip the threading. I doubt I did, but I noticed how easy aluminum heads like to strip if you aren't gentle enough.

• Sponsors (?)

The mechanic installed the plugs. They didn't mention anything about the threading. I doubt it stripped. They did the job really quick yet thorough. They carefully threaded the plugs into the holes. About 125 miles after these were installed the engine blew. Ford is trying to blaming the plugs. Which I doubt are the cause

In my experience dealing with ford, you might want to inform whoever did the plug install that ford is trying to blame them for the engine failure and get a lawyer involved. Have the lawyer get you a new engine and let ford and the plug guy fight it out for who's going to pay for it.

Chances are if the new plug was intact, then it was pieces from the broken plug that did the damage, and therefor the plug guy is going to have an uphill battle against ford.

Regardless as to who is at fault, GET A LAWYER!!! If you don't both ford and the plug will try to hang the bill around your neck.

In my experience dealing with ford, you might want to inform whoever did the plug install that ford is trying to blame them for the engine failure and get a lawyer involved. Have the lawyer get you a new engine and let ford and the plug guy fight it out for who's going to pay for it.

Chances are if the new plug was intact, then it was pieces from the broken plug that did the damage, and therefor the plug guy is going to have an uphill battle against ford.

Regardless as to who is at fault, GET A LAWYER!!! If you don't both ford and the plug will try to hang the bill around your neck.

doubt the plug broke due to the mechanic. Also, Ford wouldn't even be able to prove it one way or another. I'll do my best to get a lawyer, it's going to get expensive, not sure how I'm going to be able to afford one. and no, the new spark plug was busted. smashed in .

the spark plug that broke.

Attachments

• spark.jpg
    spark.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 370
Is that the plug the mechanic put in? Or the one you broke trying to get them out? If you can't afford a lawyer, just threaten you will get one, and check into your states lemon law. Back in 02 ford tried to get me to pay for a new head on a 2000 focus until I threatened them with the lemon law. Long story short they changed their tune once I mentioned the lemon law. The new head was suddenly covered under warranty.

every mechanic I spoke to either says most likely the head gasket blew and caused hydrolock which causes internal damage. or the rod or piston broke and smashed up against the spark plug

Not enuf $ for a lawyer to take the case. Heck, the entire value of the car is a pittance to the cost of litigation. Look at small claims court in ur jurisdiction.

Reactions: 1 user
That plug looks like the aluminum from the head is still wrapped around the threads. Indicating metal failure of the head, and not the plugs. As long as the mechanic has any kind of info on proper installation torque of the plugs, then he is covered and Ford needs to honor the warranty.

Reactions: 1 user