How do you remove the rearview mirror mount from the windshield?

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
In Remembrance. Thank you for your contributions
Mar 10, 2000
Dublin GA
Yes, I know they usually just fall off with the mirror attached.... And always when it is most inconvenient to try and catch the mirror.

However, whatever I did the first time must have really worked, because this time the mirror mount is really stuck on there.

I have new mirror and it does not fit the metal mount correctly, so the mirror falls off.
Super gluing the replacement mirror mount onto the original mirror mount works for abut a month or so, and then the mirror falls off again.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm a tall guy so I mount the mirror button about 1 1/2" below the inside trim, I just leave the old button and use another button. I've heard acetone will soften the glue but I've never tried it, those fumes are bad too.

When I did auto glass, we used a small prybar to get it off, but it usually ruined the windshield. It would pull a chunk of glass with it and we'd sand it off if we were in the shop, if mobile we'd replace the tab. You can heat the glass carefully with a lighter to soften the adhesive. Be very careful with heat or you'll bubble the laminate in the glass.

Usually had the same thing happen here, ruining the windshield. I've used a small butane torch on the tab to soften the glue a little and cross the fingers when prying. Gotten a couple off this way without breaking anything.

I'm no help. Mine fell off on its own years ago and the parts store adhesives tend to not be as strong. When I replaced my mirror recently, all I needed to do was give it a good yank and it came back off.